Connect with us

Quick transformer question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SpaceFace, Feb 27, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SpaceFace

SpaceFace

Feb 27, 2012
    I am working on a project that requires both a 18V and a 9V supply. Can I get this from a single transformer with two secondary 9V windings?

I was planning to connect the ground of the primary winding to the v+ of the secondary and connect the 18V part of the circuit across both windings and the 9V part of the circuit just across one of the windings. Is this advisable/safe?

Thanks in advance!

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    I wonder if you could take a 18V secondary with a center tap and connect one side to GND and then the center tap would be 9V and the other side be 18V. Though I have never tried it before. Seems reasonable

3. SpaceFace

SpaceFace

Feb 27, 2012
    I think that's essentially what I would be doing by connecting the primary and secondary windings together.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    If you want DC, connect the two windings in series and place a bridge rectifier across the total 18V.
    The 18V is available from the bridge rectifier and 9V from the winding centre tap.

Ask a Question