Connect with us

Quick Question About a Transistor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Supercap2F, Jul 8, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Hey Everyone!

It would be really hard to explain why I'm asking this question, so just go with it.:D Would it be bad to do this: (leave the collector attached to nothing while the transistor is power up) 38KHZTR.JPG
    Regards

Dan

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Well, you have just invented the diode! Actually the Zener diode with about a 6V reverse breakdown.

Bob

3. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    It is not going to have nothing hooked up to the collector all the time. This is just kind of a stand by wiring. So would it be bad to leave it like that for a while?

Dan

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no its not going to harm the transistor

Technically this transistor isn't really "powered up" unless you have supply voltage on the collector

BUT why on earth would you want to do that ?
    what is your mission?

Dave

Supercap2F likes this.
  5. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    OK, Thanks Dave!

I'm driving 6 IR LEDs at 38kHz for 6 TSOP4038s sensors on a robot. The robot has edge sensors too, which have to be calibrated. I can't calibrate them when the TSOP4038s are sending signals to the microcontroler. So I have two options, I can unplug the IR LEDs from the main board and leave the transistor with nothing on the collector, or I can put tape over the IR LEDs, which would be harder. o_O

Regards

Dan

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If that circuit works with the LEDs in place, it will do absolutely no harm to remove the LEDs

What you have created is an unused open-collector output. Nothing to be afraid of.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Supercap2F and KrisBlueNZ like this.
Ask a Question