Connect with us

Quick Connectors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by geekygenius, May 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. geekygenius

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
    Hello!

Its been a while since I've posted, but I'm still pretty new and have a few questions.

One thing I've been looking around for is a connector to join two small electronic tiles together. The connector would have to transmit analog signal. Its for an analog synth, so analog transmission is crucial. The connector would also have to connect very fast. I know it doesn't take that long to plug 3.5mm audio jacks in, but when you're doing it with tiny tiles, it can be trickey.

At first I was thinking I would be able to find some kind of magnetic thing that would join two contacts together, one for signal, and the other for ground. I haven't been able to find anything like this.

The operation would look something like this:
    Exact alignment is something I could work out, but a good signal is more important.

I was wondering if anybody here knew about a connector, or a type of connector I could use. Again, my requirements in order of importance are: analog transmission, fast connect/disconnect, and a small size.

Thanks!

2. DuctDuck

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
    My immediate guessing of the game's technology involves three different aspects...

-capacitive coupling (for sensing amongst non-metallic connectors; indirect contact)
    -inductive coupling (for sensing amongst metallic connectors; indirect contact)
    -rf signal transmission (typical sensing connector; ie-hey, I have "M" value parameter for you and you have "T" value parameter so lets process a finite set of possibilities)

It probally involves rf signals and uCU to keep things orderly. In this set up each tile can have its own ground and battery. Kind of neat to have an onboard spell check...ahem.

Low rf power transmissions on the horizontal flanks would suffice. Do you want to build this?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Exposed neodymium magnets on the sides, self aligning as long as you keep the poles opposite soldering directly to them is tricky without destroying the magnetism or overheating them so it's best to just use a physical contact like a spring on the back side... Although you can do quick soldering if you want and the reduction of magnetism might not be a huge factor in this design...

Or you can simply use exposed metal contact on the blocks and use the magnets to align the blocks and force the contact...

4. geekygenius

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm going for something fairly simple, so I think this would be the best idea. Do you know what this would be called, or where I can get something like this?

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The metal contacts can be anything, paper brads, screws, or nails might be a good start... And the neodymium magnets are well neodymium magnets...

Ask a Question