Connect with us

Questions About Torque In Servos

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Mastermind, Aug 29, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mastermind

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi,

If I need a servo to simply move the angle of the camera up and down, how much oz- in of torque do i need? It is a simple security bullet camera. Also if I needed to move a hose up and down and I needed it to turn using two servos (basically pan tilt), how much oz- in of torque would I need? I'm not too experienced with servos. Sorry. I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. trueblue

trueblue

Jul 26, 2011
    Well to calculate the torque you know the force of the camera (weight) and also the distance. Torque = Force x Distance.

Based on that information you can determine the torque you need for your application. Also, have you found servos for this application? This website http://anaheimautomation.com/products/servo/servo-products.php has a servo products which you may be able to use in your application.

3. Mastermind

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
    Thank you for the help. What would the distance be? How far it turns? Those servos are a lot more expensive then what I'm looking for. I'm looking for $20-30 servos.

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    If the camera or hose is well balanced & hinged you'll need virtually zero torque, so it all depends on the mechanical solution.
    How about an RC-servo?

5. Mastermind

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
    That's what I am thinking. Any recommendations?

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Can't really suggest anything more without a load of additional information about both the items, the site, and your resources..

7. Mastermind

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
    Basically I am building a mount where I can move the angle of the camera up and down. Here's the link to the camera.
    http://www.123securityproducts.com/tn501r36.html

Then I am making a pan/tilt mount for a hose to a fire suppression system. Its just a basic rubber hose

8. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Either make a new hinge point at the center of gravity (middle) of the camera, or add a weight behind it to move the CoG to the present hinge point.
    Then you'll need to consider the cable & hose bending radius against the degree & frequency of pan & tilt to prevent fatigue breaks.

9. rootboy

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
    Or convert the servo to continuous motion and connect it to a gearbox. Plenty of torque that, but your transverse times will suffer.

10. Mastermind

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
    Ok I was initially thinking I'd mount the camera on its center of gravity on the side and I would have the servo vertically mounted, but I'm not sure how I'd mount the camera on the servo. I'm still not sure which servos to buy though. For the camera, I'm thinking of use the HS- 645 mg servo. I won't need as powerful servos for the hose though, nut I'm still not sure which servos to use for that.

Ask a Question