Connect with us

Questions about components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tryppyr, Dec 25, 2013.

1. tryppyr

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
    As you may know, I am filling out a spreadsheet of information about replacement components for old HP test equipment. I'm aggregating information from a lot of sources, including the data sheets for the suggested replacement parts. Occasionally I run across some things that leave me scratching my head. This topic is where I'll post those questions.

Here's the first one.

When looking up information about diodes, one of the things that keeps popping up is the term "Glass Passivated Junction Transient Voltage Suppressor". I get what the purpose of the device is, but what I don't get is whether it is considered a Silicon device or some other glass (like Germanium).

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Glass passivisation is a process used to coat the semiconductor junction with glass (often a doped silicon dioxide).

It helps protect the junction from ionic contamination.

The process itself apparently increases the reverse voltage and reduces leakage on diodes. It may have some negative effects, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area.

So yeah, they're most likely to be silicon devices (although devices made from other materials could also conceivably be glass passivated -- dunno)

Merry Christmas

3. tryppyr

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks Steve.

Ask a Question