Connect with us

Question with piezos and LED's

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by fbchurch2009, Jan 10, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fbchurch2009

fbchurch2009

Jan 10, 2010
    I am trying to get some LED's to light up when I hit my drums. I can light up the LED's just fine with a battery, but when I hook a piezo transducer to my drums and strike them, the LED's barely light up... how can I get the LED's to light up all the way when I hit them? I am thinking it is the sensitivity of the piezo transducer? is there any practical way to get this to work? I am not really knowledgeable so please explain things thoroughly. thanks!

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    The piezo transducers have a very high voltage output when you hit them but can only deliver a very small current (= high impedance). They have a capacitance of around 2nF which means they can deliver power to the LED for only a very short time too.
    One usually have to connect them to some amplifier (a transistor etc.) before driving something low-impedance like a LED or a speaker.

3. fbchurch2009

fbchurch2009

Jan 10, 2010
    so all i need is a transistor and I should be good? anything else? This is just for experimenting so I don't really know too much about this....

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
  5. HammerSlammer

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    This thread was from about 4 years ago. I think Colin's site has moved/changed since then.

I'll see if I can dig up what was on that page 4 years ago...

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
Ask a Question