Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question plastic and rubber

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1) I apply silicone gel or liquid silicone to plastic and rubber parts cause problems and
dryness? Which product is best suited to protect and repair fissures plastic and rubber?

2) Nylon 6.6 plastic clamp
presents problems and dryness when exposed to any indirect sunlight and LED bulb?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
1) You have not adequately expressed what the problem is. If the type of plastic and/or rubber you are using is resistant to silicone oil (consult material - chemical compatibility charts) then choose a viscosity of silicone grease adequate for the lubrication needs.

Silicone grease will deter some types of degradation due to sealing off the surface from oxygen to a limited extent, but due to the transparent nature, is not protective against UV damage and in no sense is it meant to repair fissures in plastic or rubber.

You would need to be more specific about what this device is and what components are plastic but generally you can attempt to repair plastic with epoxy but within limitations and rubber is generally not repairable once degraded.

2) Nylon 6 is not UV resistant. Choose a UV resistant material, or a very dark color nylon to reduce the UV penetration, and/or paint it, or install a shield that blocks it from light.

All the info I have given is just generalizations. It is possible the product design is unsuited for the intended environment (aka junk ;) ) and a different product needs to be chosen or for it to be repaired with different components. For example it is not difficult to clamp something with many different readily available materials that are fairly UV resistant, whether you machine them out of plastic or metal, strap with sheet metal, cast with metal or epoxy if you have no more elaborate means to fabricate.

As far as "which product", I do not known what is available in brazil, but one common source for an (approximately) NLGI #1 silicone grease is an automotive dielectric (aka tune up) grease available at well stocked automotive stores.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
gel silicone is good for plastic and rubber?

nylon 6.6 is fragile any sun light enters my house?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
There is a language barrier here and you might as well stop trying and instead post in a forum fluent in you native language.

Or try harder, whichever the impediment might be.

It is senseless to ask overgeneralized questions without a specific product, purpose, and environment. If you don't want to do that then the answer is study this in college.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Isn't Portuguese the "native" language of Brazil? Maybe @gamer87 could try writing questions in Portuguese and then use Google Translate to get a version recognizable as standard English that could be uploaded here? I am not sure how to access Google Translate for this purpose, but it has given me more or less understandable results in other circumstances, such as webpage translation. Could be worth the effort of @gamer87 to do the research and find out.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
I'll use Google translate.

1) Is silicone gel good for restoring and preserving plastic and rubber parts?

2) Is nylon 6.6 a brittle plastic UV light and any clarity of sunlight entering my home will reduce the useful life of nylon 6.6?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Um. This is an electronics forum. Many of us could answer questions about cooking or gardening better than we can about properties of materials.

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Um. This is an electronics forum. Many of us could answer questions about cooking or gardening better than we can about properties of materials.

Bob
Amen to that sentiment, Bob. And Google is even better at answering the OP's generally vague and hard-hitting questions than even the egg-spurts who hang out here. @gamer87, give Google a try before posting to Electronics Point, especially questions of a non-electronic or non-electrical nature. I am sure you will get better results if you do your own research, and exercise due diligence before blithely accepting whatever "answers" are posted here, instead of depending on some of us to do that for you.