Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question on step motor control

Julio Navarro

Nov 14, 2011
I am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance which is bound to be plentiful.

I have two step motors that I took out of an old Selex plotter (similar to HP).

The labels read as follows:
STH-56D218
1.8 DEG/STEP 2.1V 1.65A
NO 14741
SHINANO KENSHI CO. LTD

I want to build/buy a control board so as to be able to operate the motor to control an azimuth mount for a telescope.

The motor has a small circuit board attached to the back of the motor. Not sure what it does. It has 8 leads from the board to the motor and a socket, presumably to the mother board of the plotter.

I would greatly appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Can you take a picture of the board? It is probably the driver for the stepper.

Julio Navarro

Nov 14, 2011
Here is the controller located on the rear of the step motor.

I want to be able to control the motor. Whether from a computer or direction switch such as an up, bottom and sides buttons.

stepcontroller.jpg

Thanks again

Julio Navarro

Nov 14, 2011
I guess the actual direction control for a motor is clock wise and counter clockwise or forward and backward. I have two of these so one would control up and down and the other left and right, I simply would need to be able to control each motor.

Thanks as always.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
still didnt work steve

the www site in the link appears to be down

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Working fine for me (it's a pretty big image though)

Here's a small one

attachment.php

Attachments

• stepcontroller (Small).jpg
    stepcontroller (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,010

Julio Navarro

Nov 14, 2011
Based on the picture of the control board, does anyone know what I would need to be able to control this motor?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
You pretty much have everything you need to drive that stepper right there, The L6201 is a full bridge driver with the typical short circuit logic circuitry. The other IC is probably for the microstepping or sequencer???

I have just recently started looking into these motors myself. maybe someone with some real knowledge can throw their two cents in.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
How many wires are coming from the motor, what are the other colors not connected to the motor?

You could start by looking at the traces on the board and finding out where the power to the motor is connected and what wires/etc. are connected to the step and direction pins of the IC. If I was you I would look at the data sheets of the IC's. Once you find out where power comes from and where the step direction pins connect you should be able to run the motor by controlling those step and direction pins.

sparkybob

May 3, 2014
I am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance which is bound to be plentiful.

I have two step motors that I took out of an old Selex plotter (similar to HP).

The labels read as follows:
STH-56D218
1.8 DEG/STEP 2.1V 1.65A
NO 14741
SHINANO KENSHI CO. LTD

I want to build/buy a control board so as to be able to operate the motor to control an azimuth mount for a telescope.

The motor has a small circuit board attached to the back of the motor. Not sure what it does. It has 8 leads from the board to the motor and a socket, presumably to the mother board of the plotter.

I would greatly appreciate any input, thanks in advance.
Hi Julio, did you find out how to connect the above motor? I have an identical one and wish to drive it using the attached circuit board. Did you resolve the problem and if so, how? Bob.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
sparkybob,

this thread is almost 3 years old
and considering Julio never responded a way back then to the last question, I would say he probably isn't around on the forum any more

Dave