Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question on SMT part packaging?

sciguy77

Oct 21, 2012
Hi,

I've made a little board in Eagle using parts from the SFE and Adafruit libraries and I'm ordering parts from Digikey. I wan't to make sure I'm ordering the right parts.

On the BOM I have part C1:

Part Value Device Package Description
C1 10uF CAP_POL1206 EIA3216 Capacitor Polarized

and another 10uF capacitor:

Part Value Device Package Description
C6 10uF CAP1206 1206 Capacitor

Under "Device" both of the caps are 1206, but for package C6 is 1206 and C1 is EIA3216, which from my understanding means they're both the same, where 1206 is imperial and 3216 is metric. So could I buy this capacitor (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2103160) and use it for both C1 and C6?

Thanks for the help!

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Your link doesn't work.

In answer to your question, maybe and maybe not. It is likely that C6 is ceramic. It is likely C1 is tantalum with a higher ESR. You cannot always substitute a ceramic for a tantalum or other electrolytic. The lower ESR may lead to oscillations in a voltage regulator, for example.

If you show the schematic and more information about the two capacitors (are my guesses correct?), you will get a more much better answer.

John

Edit: I assumed and forget to mention that you must also consider the voltage and ripple ratings. If my suspicions are right, the ceramic may have adequate voltage and ripple ratings for both applications, but that is something that will need to be considered when you post your schematic. .

Last edited: