Connect with us

Question on active low and active high logic

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by BlueCerealBox, Oct 3, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BlueCerealBox

BlueCerealBox

Sep 30, 2014
    Hi ,

I have a homework question which asks me to find the boolean equation of X.L in the image attached , the solutions are also attached. But I'm rather confused with all the active low and active high signals.

Why does it say that /Z1 = /A/B/C/D ? Shouldn't not /A/B/C/D be Z1 instead ? and /Z1 be /(/A/B/C/D) ?

I am aware that X.L = /X . H

I am seriously confused. Hoping to seek clarification.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I do understand your confusion - I'm confused, too.

It should be either
    /Z0 = /A*/B*/C*/D
    or
    /Z1 = /A*/B*C*/D - this is more likely because the equation also states /Z1=/A2*/A1*A0*E3*/E2*/E1

THe notation /Z only signals that Z is active low, meaning it is low if the condition of the equation is fulfilled, high otherwise.

The notation X.L or X.H I do not recognize.

3. BlueCerealBox

BlueCerealBox

Sep 30, 2014
    I went and thought about it for a bit and came up with this :

Assume you connect signal B.H to a NOT gate , you would get /B.H at the output of the NOT gate. Condensing this simple connection would give you a signal B.L

That is what they're probably doing at the output. The NOT gate connected to Z1 could be condensed into Z1.L , which would explain why X.L = Z1.Z3.Z4.Z7 , if you were to expand the signal X.L at the output of the NAND gate , the 2 NOT gates would cancel out , leaving you with a NAND gate.

I'm unsure of the validity of this theory though.

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I cannot comment on this as I do not recognize the notation X.L or X.H. Sorry. Maybe someone else can?

5. BlueCerealBox

BlueCerealBox

Sep 30, 2014
    X.L stands for active low signal output X and X.H stands for active high output X.

6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd be using /X for a low active signal and X for a high active signal. For me this evokes considerably less confusion since I can directly insert this notation into Boolean equations.

In the light of your last reply, this statement or yours
    seems completely logical.

Ask a Question