Connect with us

Question CRT TV

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gamer87, Mar 9, 2019.

1. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    My CRT TV passed a month without being used and when I turned it on I heard a few clicks inside the TV, what happened to the TV? those snaps with image shaking reduced the useful life of the CRT, flyback, tv board and console connected to TV by AV cable? after this problem I turned on the TV and did not hear anything else wrong

2. Cannonball

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
    After the clicks that you heard, do you have the high voltage to the crt?

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Sounds to me as it might have been an arc (snap) on the HV somewhere due to damp atmosphere after one month non-use.
    After running it, it dried out .
    M.

gamer87 likes this.
  4. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    This caused by this humidity reduced the life expectancy of the tube, flyback, tv board and videogame connected by AV?
    how to avoid this?

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Unless the arc over is prolonged, it is probably OK, but if subjected to prolonged non-use in a damp condition, best to place in a warm spot and dry out any moisture first.
    If left, eventually it could cause tracking damage depending where the problem occured.
    M.

gamer87 likes this.
  6. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    This occurred for a few seconds, the electric charge generated by this event was not drained and went directly to tube, flyback, TV board and console connected by AV? The place where my TV is the only one available

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Then it would be advisable to run the set for a period if you anticipate it would long periods of disuse.
    M..

gamer87 likes this.
  8. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    I did not understand

9. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If it is caused by disuse in a damp atmosphere causing HV arc-over, then one resolution would be to either switch it on for periods more frequently or have a way to dry it or air it out before use.
    Simple.
    M.

gamer87 likes this.
  10. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    It's a store backup TV, if I use it too much will wear out the components, I use it once a month for 30 minutes, is it possible to connect it more often without stressing capacitors, diode resistors, crt etc?

11. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    You can't make it last forever by just not using it or using it in a special pattern. The capacitors will rot over the decades.

Surely you can find an inexpensive used, but much newer, replacement. Here in the US, new larger TV prices (even 4K sets) have plummeted to the point where they also depreciate the value of older smaller sets. An older 1080p LCD TV under 40" is barely worth anything.

12. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    A CRT TV saved to preserve a technician has advised me to use it at least once a month for at least 30m, I did it but here it is during the rainy season and the humidity has made these cracks, I must turn it on more times not to occur this problem and for moisture not to oxidize the TV? I do not want to wear out the TV and its components because in the future I'll use it

tv led is bad for retro consoles

13. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    well, if you don't want to go to a LCD screen, then you have 3 choices

1) turn it on more often during each month
    2) keep the back cover off the TV and before you turn it on each time dry it out with a hair drier before switching on
    3) keep it in a very low humidity room, using a dehumidifier etc, and still make sure you turn it on once or twice a month

Cannonball likes this.
  14. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    If I turn on again for 30 minutes it warms the TV, evaporates the humidity, does not wear out without needing capacitors and other components and prevents the TV from oxidizing?

15. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Read posts 5, 7, 9, again.
    M.

16. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    Does CRT TV have any protection for this click sounds not going to flyback, tube, board and device connected by AV?

17. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If not running the set for a period of time, the next time it is to be used, take the back off in a darkened area, switch on and check for visible arcs occuring and this would be the spot to clean and possibly apply a HV sealant.
    M.

18. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    The CRT TV plug does not have the third ground pin to drain the power

19. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    ?????
    M.

20. gamer87

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
    TV CRT has no grounding to bypass the charge generated by the snap clicks and block the charge for crt, flyback and board

Ask a Question