Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about wiring computer fans to be used with batteries.

bikerscout1599

Oct 2, 2016
I have two of these computer fans.

and these are its specs

These have to be mobile (being used as part of a Halloween costume)

I have two questions.

Can I just use an 8 AA battery holder (one for each fan). Second can they be wired together to be turned on by one switch?

alphonse

Oct 1, 2016
Yes and Yes.

To expand the first question, you could, but you´dd probably end up with a pretty short battery life (guessing prehaps 10 hours or less).

The second question should be straight-forward tho, red wire to red wire and black wire to the black one.
You will be feeding both fans from the pack you connected to the switch.. :)

But hooking two (or more) of 8s battery holders together in parallel will give you more fan time in that costume. :)

bikerscout1599

Oct 2, 2016
Yes and Yes.

To expand the first question, you could, but you´dd probably end up with a pretty short battery life (guessing prehaps 10 hours or less).

The second question should be straight-forward tho, red wire to red wire and black wire to the black one.
You will be feeding both fans from the pack you connected to the switch.. :)

But hooking two (or more) of 8s battery holders together in parallel will give you more fan time in that costume. :)

Thanks. Like I said these dont have to stay on for long periods of time..

Each fan will have it's own dedicated power source.

I am making my son a "flame thrower" for his costume. (he wants to be a flame trooper from Star Wars the Force Awakens. ) I am placing the fans inside some tubes.(mounted to his back) I will have some PFC piping and hosing connected and at the end of the hose will be some yellow and red fabric. What I hope happens is when he pulls the trigger the fans in the tubes will spin up forcing the air through the PVC tubing and hose and cause the flames to flap. Simulating the flame effect.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Perhaps consider the input to the fan is much larger than the output to retain flow of air.
(usually 2.5 times)
May not be important but just a note.

alphonse

Oct 1, 2016
I really liked that idea!
Like ALOT! a father-point to you my good sir! :)

One thing to consider regarding your firing-control is that it would probably take a while from pulling the trigger to get any effect down that pipe, and the first few seconds of effect will not be at full power, since your system will have a "large" volume of air in front of the fans to compress and accelerate before it exits the muzzle, before bringing the air speed up to max.

I think i personally would have used a electric ducted fan from a R/C plane instead tho, as i belive it would provide better pressure and smaller form factor, prehaps even fit it inside a semi-bulky weapon.

And regarding that battery requirements; im dont know the age and temper of your son, but mine would probably not release that trigger if his life depended on it, and later be quite upset when the batteries run dry.

bikerscout1599

Oct 2, 2016
I really liked that idea!
Like ALOT! a father-point to you my good sir! :)

One thing to consider regarding your firing-control is that it would probably take a while from pulling the trigger to get any effect down that pipe, and the first few seconds of effect will not be at full power, since your system will have a "large" volume of air in front of the fans to compress and accelerate before it exits the muzzle, before bringing the air speed up to max.

I think i personally would have used a electric ducted fan from a R/C plane instead tho, as i belive it would provide better pressure and smaller form factor, prehaps even fit it inside a semi-bulky weapon.

And regarding that battery requirements; im dont know the age and temper of your son, but mine would probably not release that trigger if his life depended on it, and later be quite upset when the batteries run dry.

He is 8 so I will just tell him when the batteries run out thats it for that night.

I did think about those fans also. But I am tying to build this on the cheap and I got them on sale for only 7 dollars a pop.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014

mmm...having seen the result of a certain mobile phone and it's battery problems, one might end up with more realistic flames coming out the "tailpipe" than one originally intended. :eek:
:oops:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You could also hard-wire eight "D"-size cells in series and place them in individual loops in an "accessory" belt worn around the waist or over the shoulder like a Mexican ammunition bandoleer. That should allow him to keep "smokin' the baddies" all night long. :cool:

upload_2016-10-2_14-48-48.jpeg.