Connect with us

Question about what parts to use for circuit diagram

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by [email protected], May 2, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hello all! I'm new here and I hope to learn some stuff and also help
    others in the future here.

    I am trying to imitate a circuit that is introduced in a paper from
    IEEE Journal of Solid-State circuits. I need some help at to which
    parts I need to use to get similiar results as they have done in the
    paper. I have tried fooling around with various parts, but couldn't
    get things to work.
    Here is a picture of the circuit:

    The circuit that I'm working on is a modified charge pump.
    For the diodes, I'm not sure which MOSFETs to use because it doesn't
    mention it in the paper (NMOS or PMOS?).
    Also, for the automatic driving buffer, I'm pretty sure those are NOT
    gates, but I'm not sure which part to use because the last three of
    them have 2 outputs on the NOT gates.
    Also, I'm not sure which comparator to use. I'm assuming I can use a
    vdc for the voltage ref.
    Also, what can I use for the VCO and bias block.
    If you guys need the entire paper uploaded, I can do that also.
    Once I get the parts right, I'm sure I can wire this up fine...or
    Anyways, any help on this is greatly appreciated.
  2. Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson Guest

    PMOS (think DIODE)
    Certainly a weird looking configuration.
    I find VCO controlled charge pumps can lock up in strange ways.
    What does the description in the paper say?
    There's "ChargePump-4X-Example.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematic page of my

    ...Jim Thompson
  3. wrote...
    The diodes are the intrinsic body diodes (note the explicitly-
    drawn body connection) of the p-type MOSFETs (note the circle
    in the gate).
    They're inverters, but the extra wire you see is not an output,
    but rather a three-state control input (note how the control
    wires go into the gate from right angles).
    That'd be a good idea.
  4. Andrew410

    Andrew410 Guest

    Thanks for replying so fast.

    The paper can be downloaded here:

    I already have read the paper and understand most of it conceptually,
    but I can't get which parts they used to build the circuit.
    parts but just its functions. Because of this I am struggling to put
    the circuit together. I just need something that resembles the
    proposed circuit in the paper. The results don't have to be as good as
    theirs either. Also, I'm not really building the circuit in real life,
    but just need to simulate it through Pspice. The problem is though,
    like I have said, is that I'm not sure which parts to use for the
    circuit. If someone could just skim through and see which parts I
    could try using then that would be great. Thanks in advance! :)
  5. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    It asks for a log in.

    If it came from the Circuits and Systems society there's a good chance
    they're thinking you'll build it into a chip design, so you find the
    'parts' in your process's library.


    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Posting from Google? See
  6. Andrew410

    Andrew410 Guest

    You actually don't have to log in. On the link, there is a blue box
    with "Download Now" written on it. That should let you download the
    file. I just need to know which parts I can use in Pspice from the
    default process's library. I had to chose a paper from the IEEE
    Journal of Solid-State circuits and I happened to chose this. By the
    time I figured out this circuit was difficult to construct, it was too
    late for me to change to another paper. So, I am stuck with a
    difficult circuit, but I believe this is a good opportunity for me to
    learn more about transistors. I just need to know which parts I can
    try to get the circuit working decently with decent results. Even if
    the results aren't that great, I could still just discuss about the
  7. Andrew410

    Andrew410 Guest

    As Mr. Hill replied:
    I googled it and found that what your talking about is a tri-state
    inverter. Am I right? If that is the case then what Pspice part can I
    use? I already tried googling "tri-state inverter", but couldn't find
    anything that gave me a part number.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day