Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about small battery amplifier & MP3 player

Jim5211

Jul 7, 2010
My hearing is less then perfect. When I work outside or walk the dogs I like to listen to an MP3 player. I don't like wearing my hearing aids because perspiration is pretty hard on expensive hearing aids. My hearing is getting worse. Several years ago my MP3 player wasn't able to provide the volume I needed. So I purchased a Boostaroo which has worked. But my hearing is continuing to deteriorate and now I need more amplification then what the Boostaroo can offer. There is another Boostaroo available but apparently you need headphones (60 ohm) and for me earbuds are what works in the situation. Headphones don't work with a wide brimmed hat that I need to wear.

Yet there really isn't a plethora of small amplifiers out there. I can go to places devoted to the hard of hearing. But their products are usually pretty highly priced.

I was wondering if anyone could give a knowledgeable opinion about putting a Honeytone battery powered guitar amp in the line.

I realize I would need a cord with 1/4" male jack on one end and 3.5mm jack on the other end. I have several pairs of earbuds with research I think... think they are 16 ohms. Is there something about impedence or something along those lines that I need to be concerned about?

The Honeytone is for electric instruments. I don't think they provide any power to the amplifier. Whereas the MP3 player drives the ear bud / headphones.

Input from a knowledgeable person(s) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Last edited:

Jim5211

Jul 7, 2010
Since the other post was my first post it wouldn't let me post links.

The Boostaroo that I used but not loud enough anymore: http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

The Honeytone Amp that I am thinking about: http://www.amazon.com/Danelectro-Ho...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1278539147&sr=8-2

I know this forum is about making electronics and asking questions along that line. But I'm closing in on 60 and electronics projects and I don't seem to be very successful. Have tried 3 or 4 in the past and none of them worked.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
Jim