Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about built in monitor speaker project

davefull

Nov 30, 2009
Hey.

I recently purchased a 24" monitor that has an HDMI input and built in speakers. I'm finding that they are not suitable for gaming/music. The monitor does not have an audio out, which is what im trying to accomplish.

I'm wondering if I opened the monitor and removed the connection to the speakers, and then connected that to a female 1/8" jack. Would i be able to plug in headphones?

Has anyone done something like that before? I'd like to get some feedback before I tear apart my new monitor :)

Alternatively, I was looking for a cable/dongle that would spilt the audio off the HDMI cable to RCA. If anyone knows how to do that, I would appreciate that.

Thanks
Dave

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You should be able to put a jack in the box, just make sure the speaker connections are not at mains potential, and that there is a common speaker ground before proceeding. Then put 150-220 Ohm 0.7W resistors in series with each speaker out so the sensitive 32 Ohm headphones are somewhat protected from the brute power of the amps.

Why do you say 1/8" btw.? There are no such jacks that I'm aware of. That would be 3.125mm and the nearest standard is 3.5mm which is quite a big difference..

The HDMI signals are all digital so you'd need an electronic box to decode the audio from it.

Last edited:

davefull

Nov 30, 2009
hey, thanks for the fast response.

I'm probably wrong, but I have always referred to the standard headphone jack as a 1/8". I should be using metric, so i'll start saying 3.5mm :)

Thanks again
Dave