Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about B-E voltage.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
And of course one can never have a capacitor in which no current is (redacted).

so its not an example of voltage without current.

How do you figure that? A capacitor can be energized to a voltage. Afterwards, the voltage remains, but the current is zero.

Ratch

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How do you figure that? A capacitor can be energized to a voltage. Afterwards, the voltage remains, but the current is zero.

Ratch

Your argument that a current can't exist in an inductor without a voltage (with some hand waving that appears to boil down to the nonexistance of perfect inductors and conductors -- even in the face of superconductivity) is simply countered by the observation that the are no perfect capacitors or insulators and thus there is always leakage current. Because the current in a capacitor never falls to zero, this is not a case where voltage exists in the absence of current.

If you think this is an absurd proposition, remember that it is simply your argument.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Your argument that a current can't exist in an inductor without a voltage (with some hand waving that appears to boil down to the nonexistance of perfect inductors and conductors -- even in the face of superconductivity) is simply countered by the observation that the are no perfect capacitors or insulators and thus there is always leakage current.

Capacitors have nothing to do with current in a coil. I did miswrite in post #49 the following, "There is always a voltage present while current is present." I should have written "There is always a voltage present while current is changing."

Because the current in a capacitor never falls to zero, this is not a case where voltage exists in the absence of current.

Current does indeed fall to zero in a capacitor when it is completely de-energized. A good capacitor will hold its voltage for a very long time, thereby giving credence that to the fact that voltage can exist without current. If a capacitor is not good enough, then you can consider an electrometer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrometer Those instruments can hold a voltage for this side of forever.

If you think this is an absurd proposition, remember that it is simply your argument.

I do not know what you are saying is an absurd proposition.

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
"Current flow" is syntactically incorrect.
I understand the basis for your opinion, but I disagree. I have a different opinion, as stated.
The words in your description do not coalesce into any meaningful circuit model. Since the problem is obviously not on this end, you need to provide a diagram identifying all entities involved and their relationship to your description.
One composite voltage, usually composed of a excitation voltage and a reactive coil voltage.
So how does the relation between inductor voltage and inductor current apply to each component of the composite voltage? Enquiring minds want to know.
Which means the coil has no resistance.
Correct. That's what the "(no resistance)" meant in my previous post.
That's wrong. A point on the current curve of a coil can be at zero, but the slope at that point can something other than zero.
My statement was that when the inductor voltage is zero, the inductor current is not changing. You claim that's wrong because if the inductor current is zero, the inductor voltage (i.e., current slope) can be non-zero. How are those two statements related, if at all?
That is true for the voltage produced by the coil. The composite voltage across the terminals will depend of the excitation voltage plus the voltage produced by the coil.
Perhaps if you diagram this as requested above it might make more sense, but I doubt it.
There is always a voltage produced by the coil when the current is changing. The voltage at the terminals might be modified by the excitation voltage.
ibidem
The current can be changed by any number of ways, but as long as it is constant, so will the magnetic field be constant.
So I take that to mean that the coil will not lose its superconductivity.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
I understand the basis for your opinion, but I disagree. I have a different opinion, as stated.

The words in your description do not coalesce into any meaningful circuit model. Since the problem is obviously not on this end, you need to provide a diagram identifying all entities involved and their relationship to your description.

Current, charge and flow are well defined words. What is there about those words you do not understand? I would be at a loss to diagram their definitions.

So how does the relation between inductor voltage and inductor current apply to each component of the composite voltage? Enquiring minds want to know.

Just like I said. An excitation voltage applied to a coil causes a current change, which in turn causes an opposing voltage from the coil, which limits the effect of the excitation voltage. That explanation can be found in any electrical book. The excitation voltage and the opposing voltage comprise the composite voltage.

Correct. That's what the "(no resistance)" meant in my previous post.

At least we agree on that.

My statement was that when the inductor voltage is zero, the inductor current is not changing. You claim that's wrong because if the inductor current is zero, the inductor voltage (i.e., current slope) can be non-zero. How are those two statements related, if at all?

You are right, I was thinking of current when you said voltage. Sorry for that misunderstanding.

Perhaps if you diagram this as requested above it might make more sense, but I doubt it.

No need to do so now, is there?

I am neither a priest or a Latin scholar.

So I take that to mean that the coil will not lose its superconductivity.

Not from any current present in it.

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Did you ever try to analyze (or simulate) a gain stage without emitter degeneration?
Again: Vbe plays the major role and determines the main properties of the circuit.
And exactly THIS is the reason we are trying to reduce the circuit´s sensitivity to Vbe uncertainties using the concept of negative feedback.
Emitter degeneration is absolutely necessary to reduce the circuit's sensitivity to variations in transistor beta.
It is a severe misconception to believe that the assumption of a constant Vbe value (during the design of a gain stage) would mean that Vbe - as you wrote - would play "no role".
When a constant value is assumed in the design, and negative feedback handles the rest, that equates to no role.
And what about current mirrors, Gilbert cells, log-amplifiers,..? It is the DC value of Vbe which defines the function of these circuits!
One must be pretty desperate to have dragged in obscure non-linear circuits to the argument. As for current mirrors, they do not depend upon having an exact value of Vbe designed in, but rather upon having the identical base voltage for thermally linked matched pairs so that equal base current and identical collector current is mirrored by the matched pair.
Sorry, but this is simply false. You again are mixing up cause and effect. Of course - as in each conductive body (linear or non-linear) - it is the voltage across this part that allows a current. Physically spoken - a current can never "produce" a voltage. It is only the electrical field strength (caused by the applied voltage) within the conductive material that enables the charges to move.
You seem to have a definite opinion about which is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable in the Shockley diode equation. But from the perspective of the circuit designer either the base current or the base voltage can be forced to be a particular value, and the other will naturally assume its corresponding value.
I am aware that for calculating purposes we assume that a current (for example in a simple voltage divider) produces a voltage drop across each resistor. And that`s OK.
But - as far as I understand - in this thread we are discussing physical properties of an active device and not the various tools and practical methods for analyzing circuits.
So you believe that forum discussion should be limited by your misconceptions.
This applies, for example, also to the equivalent small-signal diagram based on hybrid parameters. It is an equivalent diagram that can be used for calculating purposes but it does not reflect the physical working principles of the BJT.
So you don't really understand that the purpose for creating linear circuit models is to transcend the vagaries of device physics.

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Emitter degeneration is absolutely necessary to reduce the circuit's sensitivity to variations in transistor beta.
A newcomer would, of course, ask: So what? Why do we want to reduce the sensitivity to beta?
Is this an inportant design parametr?
Laplace - can you answer this question and explain how emitter degeneation can reduce this sensitivity (without simply repeating Ic=beta*Ib) ?

When a constant value is assumed in the design, and negative feedback handles the rest, that equates to no role.
Please ecxuse me, and with all respect: I don`t expect such an answer from an experienced engineer.

One must be pretty desperate to have dragged in obscure non-linear circuits to the argument. As for current mirrors, they do not depend upon having an exact value of Vbe designed in, but rather upon having the identical base voltage for thermally linked matched pairs so that equal base current and identical collector current is mirrored by the matched pair.
We spoke about the role of the DC voltage Vbe, correct? Is it really "desperate" to remind you that this value plays a "certain" role for current mirrors and log amplifiers? Perhaps you should ask Barrie Gilbert, who has invented many attractive circuits based on the exponenetial function Ic=f(Vbe).

You seem to have a definite opinion about which is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable in the Shockley diode equation. But from the perspective of the circuit designer either the base current or the base voltage can be forced to be a particular value, and the other will naturally assume its corresponding value.
... from the perspective of circuit designer? Yes - if he is following a cookbook approach using formulas without knowing/understanding the physical background. And this is OK - as long as he is doing his job.
However, for discovering novel circuits he will run into problems if he does not know "which is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable in the Shockley diode equation".
(Ask Barrie Gilbert!)

So you believe that forum discussion should be limited by your misconceptions.
No - that`s not the case. In contrary - I wait for some replies which clearly reveal my misconceptions (if any).
But in the interest of a fair discussion you should not mix two different views: Physical facts and the "perspective of the circuit designer" (as you did).
So you don't really understand that the purpose for creating linear circuit models is to transcend the vagaries of device physics.
If you read my reply again you will notice that I spoke about the hybrid parameters only. And - as you know - the corresponding equivalent diagram contains a current-controlled current source. This works for cookbook designs but does NOT reflect the physical reality. You certainly know that all transistor simulation models contain - in accordance with the physics - a voltage controlled current source, don`t you?

Last edited:

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Why do we want to reduce the sensitivity to beta? Is this an important design parameter? Can you answer this question and explain how emitter degeneration can reduce this sensitivity (without simply repeating Ic=beta*Ib)?
You might find the answer you seek at the following webpage:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/transistor-biasing.html
I don`t expect such an answer from an experienced engineer.
As I said before, engineers tend to make a lot of simplifications and take a lot of shortcuts.
...Perhaps you should ask Barrie Gilbert, who has invented many attractive circuits based on the exponential function Ic=f(Vbe).
Such name dropper you are!
... However, for discovering novel circuits he will run into problems if he does not know "which is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable in the Shockley diode equation".
(Ask Barrie Gilbert!)
No problem. I mean, how many 'Barrie Gilbert's can there be on Facebook?
... But in the interest of a fair discussion you should not mix two different views: Physical facts and the "perspective of the circuit designer".
So now we can add this to the list of your misconceptions.
... the corresponding equivalent diagram contains a current-controlled current source. This works for cookbook designs but does NOT reflect the physical reality. You certainly know that all transistor simulation models contain - in accordance with the physics - a voltage controlled current source, don`t you?
Even non-linear differential equations can be solved with linear numerical techniques if the increment is made small enough. Would it be unusual for a computer to run through a hundred-thousand increments for a complete simulation? Try doing that with a slide-rule.

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Laplace - no technical arguments, but polemic answers only (and I wonder- Why?).
Therefore, I reply to one sentence only:
You might find the answer you seek at the following webpage:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/transistor-biasing.html

Laplace - in post#66 your wrote:
"Emitter degeneration is absolutely necessary to reduce the circuit's sensitivity to variations in transistor beta."

In my post#67 I have asked you to explain this statement (because I think it was wrong).

Now I have to recognize that you are not able or not willng to explain your own claims - instead you are referring to a page containing questionable "explanations". (By the way, as you probably know - it is not a problem to find pages with wrong descriptions/explanations in the internet).

So - I will explain it to you and I wonder if this will be a new information for you (to be found also in all reputable textbooks):
(1) It is the task of the emitter degeneration resistor Re to reduce the sensitivity of the required emitter current Ie to uncertainties of the base-emitter voltage Vbe=Vb-Ve (initial uncertainties and temperatur influence, temp-co: d(Vbe)/dVth=-2mV/K).
It is easy to verify this effect by looking at the required base voltage Vb=Vbe+Ve=0.7V+Ie*Re.
As you can see, the influence of the assumed Vbe value on the required DC base voltage Vb is drastically reduced if Ve=Ie*Re>>0.7V.

(2) Because the voltage Ve=Ie*Re causes a negative voltage feedback effect we require that the DC base voltage Vb is as "stiff" as possible (preferrably independent on the voltage divider load current which is the base current Ib).
For this purpose it is common practice to design the base voltage divider (for providing Vb) with relatively small resistors allowing a DC current of app. (6...12)*Ib. In this case, the load current Ib (app. 10% of the divider current only) plays a minor role only for establishing the desired "stiff" base voltage Vb.

(3) Summary: The emitter resistor Re provides negative feedback thereby reducing the effect of Vbe uncertainties and the choice of a low-resistive base circuitry reduces the influence of base current uncertainties upon the base voltage Vb. Both principles are effective only because the BJT is a voltage controlled device : Ic=f(Vbe).
Anything wrong?

In order to concentrate our discussion really on the critical points of disagreement I kindly ask you to show me the list of my misconceptions (if it is not too long). Thank you.
LvW

Last edited: