Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about air ionizers

hcsvntdracones

Jun 12, 2018
I am putting together an ionizer to do some air purification in my apartment now that I quit smoking, and I have a few questions, but one urgent question. I am using a 7kv negative ion generator that I have used on a few of my Ion Thruster designs, and while I have a good grasp of how to set-up Ionic wind devices, one thing I read got me a bit confused about the air ionizer, which said that I don't need a dull, rounded ground circuit next to the needle, and that all I need to do is to ignore the ground wire, rig up an antenna with a needle or a brush sticking up into the air on the positive line, and that will generate all the ions I need... using "nature" as the grounding circuit...

When I do ion wind, I have a needle going to something rounded, and I get that hissing sound and can feel the airflow, so this bugs me.. is it correct? Or do I need that rounded ground circuit? My thought with this is that I might be making ions, but then they are getting grounded a few mm away, instead of distributing into the air... the other side says the ion wind is propelling ions into the surrounding air, so, does it matter?

The next question, is about adding in an electrostatic collection plate to the ionizer, instead of using a normal filter, was wondering if I can positively charge a plate, or plates near the ionizer to attract the dust? How would I rig that up? As simplke as just grounding the plate, or do I need another circuit?

I am trying to get the most effective ionizer as I can with just this negative ion generator, a few pc fans, and some wires, etc.. This is only to clean an area under 200 sq. feet.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Seems like a lot of work for something you can buy off the shelf for about $30.