Connect with us

Query about circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by alsaf, Nov 14, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. alsaf

alsaf

Oct 2, 2011
    I have done a simple circuit with a battery lighting up a LED on a breadboard via a resistor. This lit up the LED with a noticeable brightness. I took the same battery, resistor and LED and connected them using terminal blocks. This time however, the LED nearly lit up. Would this be the expected results with terminal blocks or should be expect the same results from a breadboard and terminal blocks?

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    They should be the same. Re-check your circuits.

BTW: What do you mean by "nearly lit up"? If it did not light up, how can you tell that it was "near" lighting up?

Bob

3. alsaf

alsaf

Oct 2, 2011
    thanks Bob for replying.

When I said nearly lit up, I meant that it was a lot duller using terminal blocks than with circuit using breadboard which was bright.

Looking back at my original comment, it was a wrong choice of words, it should have said barely lit up. I do have a habit of posting comments at times without re-reading it to see if it makes sense!!!

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    it shouldnt have made any difference if wired to the terminal block correctly.
    one therefore has to ask,
    1) did you wire it correctly to the blocks?
    2) are the terminal blocks old with a bit of corrosion causing extra resistance?

those 2 things come to mind :)

How about a sharp pic of the block setup for us to check over :)

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. alsaf

alsaf

Oct 2, 2011
    I constructed the terminal block circuit again and the light was the same as with circuit board. The reason why the LED looked so dull last night was due to the way I was holding it and not covering it as with breadboard one. I think the issue may be with brightness and could be due to using the wrong resistor. I am working from an exercise manual supplied with the electronic kit I had bout, which specifies a 470R resistor.

I'm in the process of printing off the tutorials in this site for study because the exercise manual is very basic and doesn't tell you what to do if things don't work or results go as expected. Once that is done, I'll go back to circuit and figure out what is wrong. TBH, I think I need to do this and get some theory first because at the moment, I am just farting about blindly not really knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks for replying BobK & davenn

Ask a Question