Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Quality testing of an electronic item

David_C

Nov 20, 2016
I'd like to test the quality and performance of an electrical item I intend to sell.

I was able to find a similar, very high quality product whose quality I'd like analyzed and compared to lower quality alternative.

Who should I send these two product samples to? A third party inspection company? a certain type of engineer? This product's industry is very specialized and the differences in quality may be subtle.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Even more subtle is you didn't tell us what it is you are trying to sell. You expect advice? Provide more information.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What do you mean by quality? There will be miriads of requirements and will need a specification for each.

David_C

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for your response,

Fair enough - Its a toner cartridge. The available standards for this product are not strict enough in terms of print quality and cartridge reliability (there are many products that would pass the industry standard, who can be anywhere from moderately reliable / decent print quality to excellent) . What would be a good resource (e.g., engineering field, or even a specific company or person) that could help me establish specific standards based on an existing, higher quality product?

Last edited by a moderator:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Toner cartridges... what a can of worms. Quality will depend on a lot of factors that will be difficult or impossible to quantify, such as materials, toner composition, and workmanship. It would be expensive to obtain a large enough sample to perform statistically significant tests on performance for even just one particular model toner cartridge. Clearly the quality of the print is important and that varies with the media and the amount of toner per page. I would suggest that you first contact manufacturers and ask them what quality control testing they perform. Here is a Google result page to get you started.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Quality must be defined first, which is not any simple matter to start. Then to make things harder there is two kinds of quality: From the point of view of a consumer and from the point of view of a manufacturer.

You can use the very best materials to build an item, a superb design and workmanship, a precise manufacturing control, and maaaany other wonderful attributes, the resulting cartridge prints to perfection much better than an original document, but will it have quality if lasts for two days ?

I do not see where that is an electrical item...

Maaaany versions here:
----> http://www.qualitydigest.com/magazine/2001/nov/article/definition-quality.html#

Last edited: