Connect with us

Quality Control and Stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by Raven Luni, Jun 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I was just wondering about some of the requirements of running a business producing electronic devices. I've had a couple of fairly successful businesses before but only dealing with software - never anything physical.

I'm guessing not much as long as its not mains or radio equipment (well technically this would be the latter but I think the part manufacturer would be responsible for that? ). I imagine those QC stickers you see on everything must mean they are subject to some form of official testing. The only other thing I can think of is public liability insurance (which is a must for everything really - in case you turn into frank spencer on someones premises :p )

Anyway - from looking into the GPS asset tracking stuff, it looks like it could make for a viable business venture. I've got an old business partner who makes most of his money from PAT testing but used to get us great software contracts with so many different types of businesses (and you've never met a more enthusiastic salesman in your life).

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Im not sure about anywhere else but in the US there is no official quality control, other than that as far as you can tell it will work to specifications.

When you see something that says "QC passed" here it just means when they tested it, it worked, I use motors that have encoders attached that have QC stickers all over the place but still fail for faulty wiring, or not a properly tightened set screw or something, usually its stuff that if they looked close enough they would find it but mostly it will just show itself over time.

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    As far as i know there's only one person asking for quality control: your customer.
    You need to put as much effort into qc as is necessary to deliver a product that satisfies the customer's expectation. What this means depends on the particular product. Surely you will test a 10000€ an up equipment much more detailed than a 0.50€ plastic toy.
    The more you ensure quality by design and production (processes), the less you need to test.

A completely different aspect is safety. Every product sold in the European Economic Area (last time I looked Scotland was still part of it) needs to conform to certain minimum standards and needs to document conformity to the applicable standards by a CE sign.
    What standards are applicable depends on the type of product.

4. sirch

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
    I believe that CE marking extends to things like RFI testing and getting a certificate can be quite expensive.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Quality control ?? doesn't exist LOL

A large well known American GPS company, whos gear the company I work for sells and services ( I do the servicing), has for the last couple of years been getting one of their products manufactured "south of the border" ... the place that likes chillis, Tacos etc ;)

well I regularly get units that have screws rattling around inside them, having never been tightened up in the factory.

In fact its so bad, there is only one product that comes out of this big USA company that is VERY reliable. That is a product that is still made in Sweden by a company that used to be called
    Geodimeter before the US Co. bought them out. The name on the units changed as did the case colours, but it is still high quality gear .... Go the Swede's :)

Dave

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Heh.

Try working for a company that works under ISO 13485.

I'm SOOOOO glad we don't do hardware.

I'm also SOOOOO glad that it has been deemed that our software can't actually kill people.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Steve
    Yes all this unreliable get keeps me in a job
    but seriously, I'm so over the crap !!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  8. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    If the potential along some axis for damage greater than you can afford exists, you need insurance against such damage.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
Ask a Question