Connect with us

PWM or SCR Motor Controller?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Mozencrath, Aug 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mozencrath

Mozencrath

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi all, I have been spending long hours trying to figure out the best controller for my application. I have a 12VDC 1/4hp Permanent Magnet motor that I need to build a speed controller for....It needs to be very simple but must be able to do one important thing: Provide good power/torque at very low volt/RPM. In other words, I need the motor to be able to run very slowly (100RPM~) but still draw significant amperage. Can I achieve this with a basic PWM controller using a 555 timer and a 2N3055? Any suggestions are appreciated or links.I have at my disposal:

Plenty of 2N3055 type transistors
    LM317s
    All types of pots, resistors and caps
    Transformers

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I have designed a circuit to drive a 12V DC motor for a coil winder. I have had some of this working but have added things which have not been tested. I am busy at the moment so this will have to wait.

It uses the back EMF of the motor to measure the speed and will give a pulse if it running too slow. It is driven by rectified AC without capacitor smoothing.
    Forget the counter circuits

Attached Files:

Ask a Question