Connect with us

Pwm of regulated output.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sureshot, Nov 25, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    I've never tried this, so just some advise if anyone can help. Can I pwm a smps using a pwm unit to control the smps voltage for DC motor control. All is 12 volts. Smps is a converted server psu, the pwm unit has a 2.5 - 35 volt input, load on the modual is 6.5 Amps maximum. Would the pwm unit cause issues with the smps. Thanks any help appreciated.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    Thank you Harald. I was looking to control the final 12 volt out put of a converted server psu. Putting the smps regulated voltage into the unit in the picture. It would be a model railway DC controller I would build with reverse toggle switch, making use of the few converted server power supply's I already have. I wandered if the server smps might not like this type of voltage attenuation.

Attached Files:

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I think I understand your original post now better.

A computer power supply "sees" a lot of switching noise from the regulators on the mainboard, graphics card etc. So it is perfectly suited to drive a pwm controller as you show.

5. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    Thank you Harald for your help, much appreciated.

Ask a Question