Connect with us

PWM from raspberry pi to control charging of a 12 V Battery, possible?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Feb 17, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

Hi there,

I just got a raspberry pi and was wondering if it is possible to use its PWM output to control current flow to a 12 V Battery (with an IGBT). My idea is to use a 300 W windmill, a simple AC/DC converter, a IGBT, and the battery at the other side.

If voltage is above 13.8V, I reduce the current via PWM to fully charge the battery and disconnect the windmill as soon as the battery is fully charged.

The windmill has a build in over voltage security system, so I think it can be ok to just disconnect the windmill.

From the raspberry pi part, I think it's not a problem to read analog voltage and use PWM. My question is related to how can I connect the Pi to an IGbT and which circuit I need for that.

Thanks

2. Guest

Hi Tim,

thank you for your reply. I have made a very primitive diagram, see here: http://i.imgur.com/YegwxzO.jpg

The idea is the following: I'm not interested in doing some fancy charging for the battery, I know that the battery will suffer a bit because of this,but it does not matter.

I think it will be enough to rectify the power and send it into a battery directly, and only switch off if voltage is too high. I guess most of the time the battery will be below 13.8V, so the switch will be closed, and any wind that comes flows directly into the battery. I could even put a condensator after the AC/DC converter to minimize the impact of opening and closingto the generator, but I guess it will handle it well (wind can also changevery abruptly, and the generator has a protection for overvlotage included)

Yes, of course I could buy a charger for 100 u$ and that's it, but my idea is to use the pi to monitor the battery, and controll other things as well.And this is the first part. I also intend to build a better algorithm in the future.

Ask a Question