Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PWM application question

KX36

Aug 26, 2011
I know you can use PWM to adjust average power level in a device such as a motor or light bulb, but can you use it to power something from a supply beyond its specifications?

E.g. I have a 6Vdc light bulb and a 30Vdc power supply. Can I use a 20% duty cycle PWM to power the bulb, or will the bursts of 30Vdc damage it?

(Let's just say for the sake of argument I can't use a different power supply, but the high currents involved make resistive voltage dropping underirable, wasting lots of power in heat and needing a very large, expensive, heatsunk resistor)

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
I know you can use PWM to adjust average power level in a device such as a motor or light bulb, but can you use it to power something from a supply beyond its specifications?

E.g. I have a 6Vdc light bulb and a 30Vdc power supply. Can I use a 20% duty cycle PWM to power the bulb, or will the bursts of 30Vdc damage it?

(Let's just say for the sake of argument I can't use a different power supply, but the high currents involved make resistive voltage dropping underirable, wasting lots of power in heat and needing a very large, expensive, heatsunk resistor)

I think that you would be just fine. And keep in mind that you could always put a reactor in series (it's what we do for VFDs, and it really helps)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just make sure it's not a nuclear reactor...

Do you mean an inductor? If so you may need to provide additional protection for the PWM drive so that it doesn't suffer from the effect of switching a highly inductive load.

KX36

Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies. How would I work out the right inductance for the inductor? (if that's what u mean by reactor)? With these currents, the dc resistance will have to be low, so that means the part would get big and expensive quickly with increasing inductance, so I would aim for the minimum inductance that does the job.

And would the protection just be the usual parallel diode to avoid flyback voltages?

Cheers,
Matt

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
Just make sure it's not a nuclear reactor...

Do you mean an inductor? If so you may need to provide additional protection for the PWM drive so that it doesn't suffer from the effect of switching a highly inductive load.

Well, in this application they are known as reactors, but yeah, it's an inductor. But when you go shopping for one, search for "reactor".

(KX36); said:
How would I work out the right inductance for the inductor?

As for sizing the inductor, that's a good question. Usually we let the companies that sell them size them for us. But some sites have an online calculator that you can use.

Here's a short writeup on load reactors:

http://www.mtecorp.com/load.html

I don't know if the math scales, but this pdf might help with the calculations:

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pd...e/energystatus/powerquality/line_reactors.pdf

Enjoy! :)