Connect with us

PV cells and charge controller

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by AUSER, Nov 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AUSER

AUSER

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi all ,

I'm currently working on a project to supply some loads throughout the PV cells .

The output of the PVs is 10 V and 1.2 amps after connecting them in parallel .

My question is , Do i need to use a charge controller to connect the PVs to a rechargeable

battery ?

As the batteries will be connected to the loads .

If i need a charge controller can you please suggest some designs :D:D

thanks a lot

PS : i got the idea of a charge controller from this link http://www.wbdg.org/resources/bipv.php? r=office

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. fromdawest

fromdawest

Nov 17, 2012
    According to what I know, you MUST have a charge controller to be involved in your project . If not there is no way to protect battery from over charging . A charge controller circuit does charge the battery from the harvested energy ( solar energy > Dc electricity ), when the battery needs charging . If the battery is fully charge, then it blocks current flowing from PV cells to the battery to prevent over charging .

First you need to connect the PV cells to directly to the charge controlling circuit, then the charge controller should be connected to the rechargeable battery . And then the loads can be connected to the battery directly .

Refer this link
    http://www.instructables.com/answers/12-volt-Charge-controller-solar/

or search google for ' charge controller circuits '

Thanks ,
    Dileesha .

Ask a Question