Connect with us

Push/Pressure Sensor Help

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jpinc, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jpinc

jpinc

Oct 2, 2013
    I am new to building circuits and soldering so this summer I decided to jump in and get started. Its been great and I love learning by trial building new things that I can imagine up.

Now to my question,

For my application i specifically needed a 15 inch "line" that when pressed at any point, it activated ,the switch that actuated an led. .

After buying several different types of push switches from digikey, I laid out 3 identical push switches at equal distance, suspended a 1/4 inch piece of bass wood, notched out for the switches, and this actually worked.

My question, does there exist a type of wire or sensor(s), in a straight line, that can be buried within a urethane rubber and still be activated when pressure is applied? My main concern is being able to be as thin as possible, ideally within 1/4 inch of urethane rubber.

Any help, suggestions are appreciated.

I hope this makees sense. I'm still learning and i apologize for any confusion

2. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    What's the exact application of your sensor. Door Mat Sensor?:)

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah, it exists. Pressure Sensor Tape.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  5. jpinc

jpinc

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you so much for your responses.

The pressure sensor tape will actually work better than the idea i proposed. I only need it to detect pressure or slight bend at any point and this seems to be the perfect solution.

I am going to attempt to make it on my own. The tutorials are great.

Follow up question.
    If someone stands on the sticky tape sensor, the initial movement will turn on the light in the circuit, but my question is, will it remain on if the pressure is continuous, and if so, how do i go about only letting the light stay on for 2 or 3 seconds, without just draining the battery.(I know ill learn from experimenting with it but wanted to ask while parts come in mail)

I hope my question makes sense. Also, I am trying to order a small amount of velostat online but haven't had luck finding it. Any suggestions?

Again thanks for all the help

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
Ask a Question