Connect with us

Purpose of end loop on FM wire antenna?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by FuZZ1L0G1C, Jan 18, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi. On my hi-fi, I have the standard 'T' shape folded dipole antenna, which uses a smaller version of coax plug.
    On other receivers, I've seen just a simple single-wire extending from the set.
    However, while shopping recently, I noticed that several Hi-Fi's use a new FM antenna design - a single flexible insulated wire almost 3m, roughly 2m900 measured against my arms.
    What puzzles me is the end of all these monopoles have a small loop at the end, about 22-25mm diameter, made from same antenna wire.
    My question is:
    Does such a small loop serve any RF purpose, say 75 R impedance matching, or is it just an added convenience for hanging somewhere?
    The plug ends of the three hi-fi's I saw all used miniature female (RF?) plugs, plugging in to a male socket, no shield.
    I calculate the wire length to three-quarter wavelength of 98 MHz midpoint of FM BCB.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Stop you poking your eye out - seriously.

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Nice one - typical American... (I know you live in Scotland)
    I like the idea of this being for hanging the end on a nail to keep the antenna stretched.

Definitely no HF purpose I could think of.

davenn and hevans1944 like this.
  4. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    :Kicking Myself:
    What with 'flu, medication, early morning hours, my brain cell had expired.
    Realise now that I got confused with helical loading coils used on some rigs.
    I dont know about poking my eye out - I think I shot myself in the foot!! :eek:
    Head clearer today.

Ask a Question