Connect with us

purchasing a transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by thetylercox, Jan 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. thetylercox

thetylercox

Jan 26, 2013
    I am interested in purchasing a transformer. I know what core I would like to use, number of windings, and possible dimensions. So, what do I do next? I cannot easily find a place to find the transformer I want. I have included the specs I have found below, but any and all suggestions would be helpful as I am not by any means tied to these specs.

[​IMG]

If this is not the right place to ask, I apologize and any direction to the appropriate place to post such an inquery would help greatly.

Also, I am interested in finding large quantities.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    If this is a custom transformer, finding someone who will build a single item will be difficult. Buy the material (core, bobbin, isolating tape and magnet wire) and wind the transformer yourself.

3. thetylercox

thetylercox

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm interested in finding large quantities this is not suitable for me.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I would agree with Harald. If you are going to purchase large quantities, you need more information than you have given. Make one and see if it will do the job.

Does it overheat?
    Does the insulation break down?
    Is there too much interwinding capacitance?
    Is there enough coupling?
    Will the losses be acceptable?
    How will it be fixed?
    What terminations should there be?
    Etc, etc, etc.

5. thetylercox

thetylercox

Jan 26, 2013
    I under stand this my question is what's next after you have decided on a core and windings how do I buy a core wound for me at large quantities of should I look at common transformers to keep the price down! I interested in buying many transformers with a specific specs where do I go to do this? I have already made 1 transformer that works for me how do I get a 1000 of them?

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    You would have to go to a transformer manufacturer with your spec's and they would make them for you.
    They will quote you a price per transformer or on specific quantities, say $1000 per 100 units or whatever
    You need to realise because this is a specific manufacture for your needs, it most likely will not be cheap to do

Dave

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
Ask a Question