Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Purchased pioneer deh P980BT it skips or cuts out at random

Angelus

Nov 8, 2010
Lets just say I got screwed on ebay and ebay sided with the seller. Dont really wanna talk about it :( its too stressful.

Now im stuck with a cd player that works EXCEPT it either skips or cuts out. If i have the cd player in my hands and move it ever so slightly it will skip like crazy. I think its just skipping because it does not do it when im using the FM radio. Its only when cds are playing.

Does anyone know where I could start looking to fix this since im stuck with the radio.

(also i am never buying anything off of ebay again that isnt brand new)

The only electronics shop here charges 40 an hour. It really wouldnt be worth me paying over like 100 bucks to have this fixed. I could get a brand new one for 450 bucks.

Im knowledgeable about electronics, i am horrible at soldering (im not steady handed and never learned how to do it properly)

I do have a guy who is i think an electrical engineer who isnt working at the moment so im gonna see if he can take a look at it for me.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There's a lot of tech involved in anti-skip engineering of the CD players.
Hopefully your elec engineer might see something he can do, but a shop would not
charge less than what you probably paid for it. (If they offered to try to fix it)
I agree you were cheated by the seller, ebay probably backed them because they
probably sold it as is.
Odds are the original owner dropped it, and misaligned or knocked something loose. If some pad or anti-skip feature is out of whack, maybe you engineer can find it. But it takes a factory jig to align the laser, ...and that's if the plastic parts inside weren't damaged in the drop. (maybe the engineer will get lucky?)
Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't think you're going to hear good news about this.

Angelus

Nov 8, 2010
There's a lot of tech involved in anti-skip engineering of the CD players.
Hopefully your elec engineer might see something he can do, but a shop would not
charge less than what you probably paid for it. (If they offered to try to fix it)
I agree you were cheated by the seller, ebay probably backed them because they
probably sold it as is.
Odds are the original owner dropped it, and misaligned or knocked something loose. If some pad or anti-skip feature is out of whack, maybe you engineer can find it. But it takes a factory jig to align the laser, ...and that's if the plastic parts inside weren't damaged in the drop. (maybe the engineer will get lucky?)
Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't think you're going to hear good news about this.

It wasnt sold as is which sucks. I know a guy on a car audio forum who also says he may be able to fix it. He said you usually need to replace the laser head or somthing like that and it runs about 100 bucks. He said he would just charge me parts and shipping.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
How well do you know this guy? Don't throw good money after bad. He can't possibly troubleshoot your CD player without looking at it first. Is he going to check it and THEN quote you a price? (Just things to consider). It plays until you jiggle it, so the LASER is ok. It's the assembly that the laser rides in that has something loose or broken.
If you're planning to spend $100 to fix it, I WOULD take it to a shop to check it, they'd probably get it right, AND you'd get a warranty on the repair. Contact the manufacturer repair or technical support people. Ask them to recommend repair shop. Even if you had to mail it to a repair facility, at least you'd be sure the job got done with a warranty on the repair.