Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Purchase RC receiver transmitter

hip36

Feb 28, 2014
I am working on a school project proposal for digital ii. We are planning to use an 8051 to control a tracked robot base, a color sensor, to track a designed course, a keypad to pick from planned patterns, anti crash sensor,and remote control. We agreed on the Dagu Rover 5 Tracked Robot Chassis with Encoders from Parallax and already have the TSL12T, TSL13T
LIGHT-TO-VOLTAGE CONVERTERS and silicon labs c8051F340, but I am not sure what I need for anti crash crash detection or remote control. The first thought was a $0.99 Infrared T1 3/4 LED to detect approaching objects, but I don't think it will work. I think I need an infrared emitter/receiver I don,t know much about RC either, but it would sure be nice if I could use an old TV remote to to control it. What am I looking for for to receive the IR transition from a TV remote? Is there an easier way to do RC? I spent all morning looking at high dollar crap I don't need,and would not get approved any how. I only need to transmit and receive 2 analog signals, that will vary from negative to positive.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
If you intend to use the robot outside in sunlight, then IR is not a good idea, you will be better off with an RF remote control. If you decide to go with IR then google 'IR Remote Protocols' that explains the different protocols used and what the signals must/will look like. To make an IR LED transmit far enough also requires some additional work
Long Range (10m) IR Transmitter example. There are several IR receivers available that reduces ambient IR interference and strips the carrier signal (TSOP......).

From what I have seen regarding robotics, I think an Arduino board will be better suited as there seems to be loads of interface boards and libraries available for doing almost everything. I have not looked for 8051 stuff, but suspect there will be significantly less available. The Arduino seems to be the hobbyist choice.

This question will be better ansered on a robotics forum. Search for 'robotics forum'.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I think you might need an opto switch or opto reflector. You would normally drive it from a pulse. And then sense the voltage level coming back, you coyld use this for telling how close you are to something.
Adam

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
It depends on the distance you want to sense.
Here is one option:
Ultrsonic sensor 2-450 cm

Or you could build a simple IR with a few IR LEDs and a IR photo diode, but the maximum distance will be shorter unless you do some work to overdrive the LEDs without blowing them (like remote controls do it). The IR version could also be confused by the remote if you use an IR remote control.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
In Ohio (USA), IR proportional controlled indoor helicopters (3 channels) are <$12 USD, including the transmitter, receiver, charger , and in-flight LIPo (about 200mAH). I have two of them sitting on my bench waiting for a project. The helicopters themselves are not suitable of flight outside, but the controllers work fine in a brightly lit room. You can have at least two flying at the same time (I have not tried more), once they bind to the transmitter.

You might consider re-purposing such toys for your project.

John

hip36

Feb 28, 2014
Thanks

That is about what I am trying, I bought the new bright RC truck at Walmart for $8.97. Not sure I can figure out how to make it all feed in and out of the 8051 but if my time is worth anything, anymore, I was tired of searching the web. Some of the upper class men hide an Adreno in their their projects.
This is my first play in this game and I am pretty sketchy in how to keep all the components and signals at the right levels. If I new it all I wouldn't need to be in school.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
If you can get use of an oscilloscope, it will help you understand the signals.

One thing to consider, in the helicopter, the controls are for motor speed. In a robot, you will need to control position (e.g., steering). Your Walmart truck may be a better choice for parts donor, if the steering is proportional. If the steering is not proportional, all is not lost, but it is a bit more difficult to control.

Is the steering proportional? How many channels do you have? (I just may stop at a Walmart today. ;) )

John