Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Puppy with light up fan

cgibbons51

Mar 3, 2014
Hi I bought one of these Puppy with fan and I had gotten hair into the fan part so it stopped spinning so I tried just pulling it out that didn't work. So I took it apart and now the hair is all out but I can't seem to get the fan to spin anymore I don't understand why. The fan lights up to spell out words to but the light won't come on now either. This was a gift and I really gotta figure out
I am willing to possibly pay somebody if they can figure this out lol its that important

Last edited:

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Does the fan spin freely if you turn it by hand with power off, or is there some resistance?

When you turn it on, does it "try" to turn? That is, does it turn more easily by hand in the correct direction? Do the lights flash when you turn the fan?

Do you have a voltmeter? Take it apart and see if the motor gets power. That's the first step. You tried fresh batteries, right?

cgibbons51

Mar 3, 2014
It seems like there is some resistance when spun by hand and lights not working. I'll have to try the meter. The music on the toy does still play just no fan. So not the batteries

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Does the rotation resistance change with it turned on? Check the batteries anyway, if they're weak they could still have enough to power the music chip but not enough to spin the motor. If you can pull the fan blade off the shaft, there may still be hair clogging the motor bearing.

Depending on how the light circuit is powered, it may only work when the fan is spinning. Since wires won't work to send power to a spinning part, it would either use a brush/rotating contact arrangement or a coil and magnet inside the hub. If there's no brush/rotating contact assembly, it's using a magnet and coil, so the lights won't work unless the fan is spinning fast enough to generate power for the LEDs.

Last edited:

cgibbons51

Mar 3, 2014
I pulled the blade apart to get hair out.
1947791_10203241759594603_1310795234_n.jpg
this is the fan design
10006637_10203241908918336_826822207_n.jpg
this is the rest

Last edited:

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
You got more hair out, so does the fan spin now? Does it light up now?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I can't get the blade to spin. Like after taking it apart and putting it back nothing happens now

that's probably because you have damaged the commutator brushes
when you slid the cap back on
they are in the middle of the yellow end cap

Dave

cgibbons51

Mar 3, 2014
that's probably because you have damaged the commutator brushes
when you slid the cap back on
they are in the middle of the yellow end cap

Dave

Theres some near the top part to. Are these fixable?

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Examine them to see if they appear to be in the correct spot and not bent. Worst case, you'd have to find a motor of the same size and spec (ideally the same motor) and replace it. At that point it might just be cheaper and easier to just replace the toy.
Theres some near the top part to. Are these fixable?
When you say top part, do you mean the end of the shaft with the fan blade? The brushes on that side (if there are any) are for rotation sensing so the LED message is synchronized to the blade rotation.

cgibbons51

Mar 3, 2014
Examine them to see if they appear to be in the correct spot and not bent. Worst case, you'd have to find a motor of the same size and spec (ideally the same motor) and replace it. At that point it might just be cheaper and easier to just replace the toy.When you say top part, do you mean the end of the shaft with the fan blade? The brushes on that side (if there are any) are for rotation sensing so the LED message is synchronized to the blade rotation.

Underneath the fan there is another pair of the brushes and at the bottom of the motor