Connect with us

Pulse width modulation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Electron point, Feb 20, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Electron point

Electron point

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi Folks

I am fairly new to this - as my question will show....

Is there a way to reduce from 12 volts to say 2 volts without wasting power and needing a big heat sink when drawing about 10 amps ?.

Does a pulse width modulator do that? I see some advertise that they don't need heat sinks.
    I'd like to make a pulse with modulator that is adjustable so as the unit gets hotter the power required remains the stable (over a range of temperatures)

Thanks

Gerry

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    PWM, well, kinda.

It depends on what you're driving.

If it's a motor it will probably work, but for an electrical circuit you will need DC, in which case a switchmode regulator is required.

3. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    Power and heat are very closely related. Doesn't seem to me that you can maintain the same power level and reduce heat. A watt is a watt.

4. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    My idea was to have a power transformer that have multi-tapped secondary with automatic selector switch to feed selected bridge rectifier then pass a voltage regulator. Voltage drop to series pass transistor therefore would be minimal. It's only an idea. But maybe it can be done. This is linear solution not pwm.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
Ask a Question