Connect with us

pulse generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by conductor3, Jun 8, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    i want to build a pulse generator tha speeds up to sound ........................................................can anyone help me plz

thx ................
    cuductor3:confused:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean by "speeds up to sound"

Do you mean a variable (audio) frequency pulse generator?

Variable mark/space ratio square waves?

3. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    yes thats it

4. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi Conductor3
    You still aren't very clear in your description of what you need.
    How many pulses per second, of what kind, do you want in silent periods? How many pulses per second do you want when sound of what level is detected? What voltage should the pulses be? Does the circuit have its own microphone or is the signal handed to the circuit from some other unit?
    All these questions and many more need to be answered before your requirements can even be understood, let alone met.

I think you're ready to get a ittle bit of theory happening and start designing some electronics of your own.

I think you could start with "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. This is a very accessible, not very mathematical book, which will give you a grounding that will last forever with minimal hassle.

5. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    here is a 3v /1 pulse per second pulse generator
    the less resistance the resistor is the faster it goes
    can a transistor work for this

Attached Files:

6. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Not a very good image conductor3, but I think that what I see is a level detector in the 1st op-amp followed by an inverting integrator, which feeds back into the level detector. Neither of these jobs can be done by a transistor; op-amps are the usual choice for this circuit.
    Perhaps you'll like this link: http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/triangle_waveform_generator.html

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Urk, 2 gate oscillator.

You can make all sorts of oscillators. some use transistors, some use logic gates, some use 555's, you can even use a neon tube.

It all comes down to the signal you want. You need to describe that in more detail so we can recommend an appropriate oscillator. (Also other requirements, like operation from 3v, low current, etc.)

8. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    i need any signal mostly high then low,high then low so on so forth

9. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
  10. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    heres what i think will work

Attached Files:

11. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    if you dont understand an inverter heres a truth table

Attached Files:

12. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
  13. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    were can i find it

14. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    :mad: :( :eek: :) :eek: :D

15. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Yigh there c3
    if you click on the blue letters (electronic chat) in my last post you'll be right.
    Also please feel free to try me on my own especially set-up skype name: "poor.mystic". I prefer text chats rather than voice calls, I don't have the bandwidth at the moment.

PS please be nice when choosing what time to call. I am in eastern Australia, which may be far from your own location and many time zones away too

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  16. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    thanks i am good at it i read a book on electronic and radio engineering i under stood all of it
    allthough its not my age type im only a 5th grader i also am the only one in my class including the teacher that likes science books can give good information :D

17. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi there Conductor3 :)
    Good idea with the transistor although I'm not convinced that it'll work. But I think I understand what you want, now.

The circuit you want to build is called a Voltage Controlled Oscillator, or VCO. There are lots of VCO designs, some of which are very simple and easy to implement and some of which are capable of sweeping huge ranges of frequencies. VCO's are a very important kind of circuit.
    The 555 timer has had more circuits designed for it than any other chip I guess. You can make a VCO using a 555. There are probably a hundred ways to use a 555 in a VCO circuit.

The attachment shows a circuit I picked up by googling "555 VCO" . The website is http://www.robthefiddler.com/electronics-audio-diy/circuit-experiments/555-as-vco/

Attached Files:

18. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    i dont use 555s ........................................................................................................
    the resistor 10k makes one pulse per second the 510 ohm resistor blocks it out when the transistor is fired it lets that resistor take place speeding it up different power supply creates different speeds :D

im only a fith grader (11 years old) too i dont know how im in to this stuff more than anyone in my family :p

19. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    the pulse genorator is used in the electronics learning lab it just doesnt use this design i made a little changes by adding some stuff to it ^_^

20. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    it never told us it can work that way

Ask a Question