Connect with us

PSU Silverstone ET550-G dead after thunderstorm (turned itself off)

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by hansmuller, May 4, 2019.

1. hansmuller

hansmuller

May 4, 2019
    Hello members ,

The PSU was running when a lightning bolt struck far away. turned off and cannot power on again.
    so probably overvoltage exposed.
    I opened the PSU to replace the fuse. it is a ceramic one, there I cannot see on first sight if it is blown. Also removal seems unnecessarily difficult as it is soldered and no holders that may clamp it.
    Did a sight inspection and did not see anything apparent.
    As i do not have good soldering equipment, do you recommend to bring it to technician to solder replace the T10A fuse?
    What else maybe to check before that?

with best regards
    Hans
    IMG_20190503_225704131_1.jpg IMG_20190503_225522646_1.jpg IMG_20190426_181433784_1.jpg IMG_20190426_175347479_1.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hello Hans,
    There are many things that can be checked. First would be the fuse. Do you own or have access to a simple multimeter?. They can be bought for as little as £10.
    Or a diy continuity tester, a piece of wire, torch bulb and battery.
    upload_2019-5-4_19-28-9.gif
    Where the switch is, simply connect across your fuse. If the bulb lights, the fuse is fine.
    Let us know how you get on.

Martin

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Might be the photo but top of cap beside D22 looks corroded also.

4. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Even if the fuse is blown, don't replace it yet. Odds are your primary side switching transistor(s) (mounted on the longer heatsink) are blown and will need replaced first, or possibly a bridge rectifier diode pack (or both).

As far as "bring it to technician" to do anything, you will probably find the labor rate is higher than (a used PSU) it's worth. If you don't even have a soldering iron sufficient for replacing a fuse, it would seem like you're putting the cart before the horse in trying to repair it in this particular case.

5. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Then again this is an electronics forum. If you're a gambler and a DIY type of individual who would rather buy tools than pay someone else the labor, with the idea that you might not do much better than break even (??) but have the tools to use again next time, then there exists the possibility that you could educate yourself about troubleshooting transistors and diodes, invest in a sufficient soldering iron, and dive in! A very frugal person could even calculate that you could still save a lot of money, a budget grade soldering iron of 40W or more (might not need that much but being conservative) could be had for $10. A multimeter could be had for $10. Replacement transistors or diode bridge could be had for $5, roughly for all these figures.

It could easily be cost effective for you to repair it but the investment is your time. What you learn could be reapplied later in life, but there is a reasonable limit to the "learn everything there is" philosophy of life rather than spending time on things that are more repetitive.

I did not venture into electronics based on an event like this, but everyone has to get from point A to point B somehow. It's up to you...

I would look at whether I had decent power surge protection and consider upgrading that.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
Ask a Question