Connect with us

PSU advice

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by darren adcock, Jan 21, 2018.

1. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks Steve

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks perfect.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know. I'm happy to find any English name for these ;)

You need to ensure the contact area is kept dry at all times to avoid corrosion from the electrochemical potential difference between copper and aluminum in combination with humidity. But then again, you should keep the electronics dry anyway at all times.

3. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    So many names for things.... always something new to learn...building certainly improves vocabulary :)

Ok, so make sure there is ample airflow but no chance of water getting in externally? Wondering if there is a silicon putty I could apply to the area on joining....

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Are you planning to use the synth outside? If not, no need to worry about humidity.
    If so, you need to make sure the electronics stay dry anyway. Silicone isn't the best idea. Although it helps to keep hunidity outside, it will also keep any humidity that has crept inside through any unavoidable gaps (look at your connectors...) inside. Better to have some openings that allow free flow of fresh air for cooling and keeping the inside dry. Make sure the openings are small enough to prevent accidental touch of any live parts by people. Simply have a look a commercial amplifiers or similar to get an impression.

5. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    I would like to use my synth outside yes... will this require different design requirements? It won't be outside much, but I would like to think in the summer I could have it out for full days in the field recording.

I am planning on putting a full back on the synth and underneath and having vents (angled downwards). However I'm yet to build this.

6. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    I can look into this, rather than keep asking. If I get stuck I'll holler. I have a HH amp here that was donated as parts so i may salvage air vent and chassis ground connect from there.

7. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Sounds like a good idea.

darren adcock likes this.
Ask a Question