Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PSP 3000 - putting back dat screw...

xtan

Sep 21, 2014
Hi all, I just replaced my PSP 3000's action buttons. So yeah, taking out the 7 screws were pretty easy.Then, took off the faceplate, replaced the action buttons and put back the faceplate. When I put the screws back in, one screw doesn't seem to fit just right in but all the other 6 screws were put back easily and perfectly into place. That one screw was this one (indicated with the RED circle) :
coctEor.jpg

That screw (red circle) was too deep compared to the one below (green circle). Whenever I tried putting it back in, it just drops all the way inside and I'll only be able to (hardly) turn it a little. All the other 6 screws are fine. When I finished, it seems the faceplate is put firmly back into place but there's a little (teeny tiny) gap between the L trigger and the edge of the faceplate, no gaps between the metal casing and the faceplate. Tried using the PSP, all buttons, memory stick, etc, everything's working fine. Still, I'm wondering if I put back that one screw wrong.
Anyone here who have disassembled / reassembled their PSP 3000 before? Please tell me how you put back that screw before. Please help. Thanks! :)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Sounds like the "can of worms paradox" has bitten you :)

There are two likely reasons. First, the screws are different lengths and you need a long one for that hole, but you've put a long one into a short hole, so you're left with a short screw and a long hole. In this case you have to find the long screw that you've put into a short hole, and swap it with the short screw that you have.

Second, some of the plastic has broken inside the hole. It's not unusual for the plastic to crack but be held together by the screw. Then when you remove the screw, the plastic falls apart, and when you try to put the screw back, it won't grip. In this case you need to take the other screws out, open it up, and inspect the plastic in that area on both pieces. Also, the presence of a loose piece of plastic rattling around is a good clue! If you find the broken bit, you may be able to glue it back. Or you may be able to rebuild it using some kind of modelling clay or hot melt glue. Or you could just forget about it.

Good luck!