Connect with us

PS4 Cooling Fans

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Alexander Lauderdale, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Alexander Lauderdale

Alexander Lauderdale

Nov 3, 2014
    Hi guys and girls,
    I just got a ps4 and where it's sitting in my cabinet it's getting hot cause there's no air flow. My solution is to mount some fans in the area for better air flow. I found some fans I would like to use and because I'm a noob with creating my own projects I need help.
    The fans are 2 x 12v dc and 80mA. I currently have laying around at home a 12v doc 500mA plugpack. I wanted to make a simple circuit. A switch, potentiometer to control fan speed, an led light to show its on and the fans. I was wondering if instead I'd need a 24v doc plugpack because it's two fans, the plugpack is rated 24v dv 1.25A. If I do require the 24v plugpack would I need to decrease the amperage and if so how would I do that?

Hope someone can help, would be greatly appreciated :)

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    You could do it either way, actually youd probably be better off with the 12V.

Put them in parallel on the middle leg of the potentiometer, one other leg to 12V the other to GND, this way both are getting the full voltage across both and will spin almost exactly the same speed.

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    If these fans are what I think they are, they will not take too kindly to being connected to a potentiometer.
    Nor will the pot with nearly 2w flowing.
    Forget the pot.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Yea I did forget to mention that you will probably want a fairly substantial pot, one that can handle 3+ Watts.

Most 2 wire motors (fans) will work fine with voltage variance, so as long as you have the power rating on the pot it should be fine.

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    You could just wire in some quiet fans and leave them on at full-tilt.
    120mm and larger fans work well for this.

6. Alexander Lauderdale

Alexander Lauderdale

Nov 3, 2014
    Okay, fair enough - I'll forget about the potentiometer :p
    All go or no go haha.
    Yeah, I was thinking about either the 12v and put them in parallel or just in series with the 24v. I reckon I'll go with the parallel - save money.
    Thanks guys :)
    And as for an LED to say its on, what ohm resistor do you recommend I use?

7. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Remember that Electricity is billed per kWh, so using half the current at twice the voltage is the same as twice the current at half the voltage. (This does depend of the efficiency of the power source, and other losses in the setup.)
    You need to determine what LED you want to use.
    The LED specifications will dictate the current requires, and will state the min-max voltage drop across the LED. You need these numbers to determine what value resistor to use.

It could be anywhere from a 430Ω to 510Ω depending on color if you are using a 20mA LED. (Which is very common)

Ask a Question