Maker Pro
Maker Pro

proximity switch?

LukeSkyrunner

Sep 23, 2016
I'm trying to set it up so that something will vibrate when something else comes in close proximity to it. Ideally the proximity could be adjusted. I'm looking for something on the smaller side. - Thank you for any help!!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
More information would be helpful.
It depends what you want to detect. What material, what range (distance) and so forth.
Do you want to buy a prox switch or make one?

LukeSkyrunner

Sep 23, 2016
More information would be helpful.
It depends what you want to detect. What material, what range (distance) and so forth.
Do you want to buy a prox switch or make one?

Thank you. I'd like to buy one. I could use your recommendation on material. I would like one component that would vibrate when the other is in proximity. Distance would be 6 to 12 inches. On the smaller side would be best.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The first place I check for unusual things like this is All Electronics website, Van Nuys, CA.
They buy a lot of end-of-production run stuff and sell it at reasonable prices.
They may not have what you want, but it's a possibility.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
there are different types of prox switches that work on detecting different materials.

A inductive prox switch might work better on one material while a lazer type on another...

LukeSkyrunner

Sep 23, 2016
The first place I check for unusual things like this is All Electronics website, Van Nuys, CA.
They buy a lot of end-of-production run stuff and sell it at reasonable prices.
They may not have what you want, but it's a possibility.
Thanks. I'm getting some ideas from that site, thanks.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
For instance some lazer or infrared types do not work well detecting shinny metal objects because it scatters the light.

So what material are you detecting?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Your probably wanting an infrared type because of the long distance.
If you can use a separate reflector, or two switches (one sends light and the other receives) you'll get more reliable results if the distance from switch from target keeps changing.