Connect with us

Proximity sensor for parking

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Ed Sowell, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    I have to park my treasured 1976 Jaguar XJ-S as close as possible to the right side of the garage without risk of scraping the car while passing through the door. There are a lot of garage parking sensors, but it seems like they are conceived to keep the car from hitting the wall in front of the car. Consequently, I'm thinking about a DIY device. It should mount very near the right side of the door frame, and emit a loud screech or something if the side of the car gets any closer than about from the door frame. Seems simple. Has anyone here done something like that? Ideas?

Thanks.

2. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    I should have done so first, but I just searched YouTube and found several nice Videos. Seems very simple. Might give it a go. Any tips would be appreciated.

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    You don't say how close......
    Anyhow I would imagine the Arduino type sonic sensors would work just as well.
    Distance is distance whether side on or in front.
    I just hang a tennis ball from the ceiling.:):)

Actually there is one I have seen that has a row of LEDs which light in sequence so there is some amount of "just how far" you are from the wall or whatever.

Add on's such as alarms also in some units.

4. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    perhaps 4"

I'll look into that
    In some sense that's true. However, there's a difference in this situation. E.g., some of the devices on the market project a beam tha the driver watches to see when it reaches a spot on the dash or something.
    I've used that for decades for the front. If on the side, wouldn't one have to hang a row of them? :)

5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Come on now, you're a Jag driver......:cool:

The Arduino ones I referred to are sonic devices so they would normally operate at right angles to the vehicle. (Tx and Rx module)
    I am trying to imagine how you would set it up so I'm guessing on the door frame would cover any part of the vehicle that comes into that region.
    Also imagine once you set your "telemetry" the front of the vehicle has nothing else forward of the sensor to run in to.??o_O

The sequential LED display for how close could be mounted in front so you don't get a cranked neck.

Side note:- My Dad was the "man to see" back in the old days for Jaguar tuning etc.
    One of his customers also used Jag engines in speed boats so even in his leisure, he was kept busy.
    90 next week so retired now.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-Ul...h=item464bd3a6df:g:98EAAOSwWBJXA0zK:rk:8:pf:0

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    But they should also work looking at the side of the car, right?
    Yes. The door frame is about 3 feet narrower than the garage, so it juts out about 18" on each side. I keep the inevitable clutter (that lines everyone's garage) less than that.
    Only my tool chest up at the front, but the tennis ball will stop me before that.
    Assuming it would have to be in front of the car, I don't know where I would mount one of those. There are cabinets directly in front of the Jag, and the doors are sometimes left open.

I'll be 80 in July.

7. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Just put down a thick plank of wood such as a railway sleeper to act as a kerb

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    How about 2 tennis balls on strings, positioned so that when they are seen to line up you're good to go.

9. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Yes, that was the idea.

Edit:- I found one of many garage sensor projects. This one uses a 3 colour LED and the code is relatively simple.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Ultrasonic-Parking-Sensor-With-Arduino/

You will need to download the Arduino program (IDE....integrated development environment,,,,free) to be able to work with it. Look under "Download the Arduino IDE". Current version is 1.8.8

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Don't know what your programming experience is however it is easy to modify to suit your needs.
    Comments in the program make it easy to follow just what the program is doing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    A thin piece of flexible plastic/rubber protruding 3? inches from the trouble point, anchored to a microswitch could work. When dragged/bent clicks the microswitch to sound a buzzer.
    In other words, a microswitch by the door frame with a long enough-non-marring arm.

Wrong orientation for its wheel :
    [​IMG]

11. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Seems you have no idea of how some car owners treasure their vehicles.

Mine is a '78 Celica and I for one would shudder to think a piece of flexible plastic hose or whatever was scraping down the side of my vehicle's paintwork every time I parked in the garage. :eek::eek:

12. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    I've had one tennis ball set to touch the windscreen (British term!) for a long time. I agree that if that ball were also properly positioned transversally, and a second ball hung the same distance from the right garage wall but closer to the garage entrance, it would work. However, there's no ceiling so I have to be on my tiptoes on the top rung of stepladder to attache the strings to a joist, or worse a rafter.

Guess I was looking for a slightly higher level of technology :)

13. Ed Sowell

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
    This appeals to me. I have a lot of programming experience, including 30 years of teaching Engineering & CS. Also, I happen to have an Arduino kit that was given to me several years ago. However, I already spend about 10-20 hours a week programming, mostly in Java. Don't think I have time to take on this project right now. In the meanwhile, I might get a Parking Alert Sensor SFA275 for about $30.

14. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    That's brilliant, but naw....too simple, and doesn't involve any cool electronics. Electronics people love to make things complicated....;)

15. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    In that case, build yourself a robot and get it to announce "Left a bit!.....Right a bit!" when the car approaches the garage door.:D

16. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    79 and busy as....... sound a lot like my place.
    I'm sure I used to have waaaay more time to do things before I retired.
    Then again the missus got wind of how much spare time I "have".

Ask a Question