Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Proximity sensor and SS relay

macgyver40

Oct 19, 2018
I am trying to use a proximity sensor with a Solid state relay to start and stop a 240v A/C 1.5hp motor with a ice cube relay timer. L1 is hot at all times. L2 is going through the proximity switch. The a problem is that the SS relay is allowing 3-4 volts through at all times, so the first time you energize it ,it will never stop the motor. Potentiometer to try to find a resistor to stop the voltage (if possible)? breakover diode (will it stop all voltage)? LED in line (A/C voltage)? incandescent bulb?
Any ideas to completely stop all voltage when the prox switch is made up? 120v A/C input

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Circuit, photos,model number, symptoms (aside from what you believe the problem to be)...?

macgyver40

Oct 19, 2018
Circuit, photos,model number, symptoms (aside from what you believe the problem to be)...?
I don't have most of that information. Its just cheap ebay stuff. I actually used this setup with an ice cube relay instead of the SS relay and got the same results, so for some reason the Capacitive proximity switch im using is allowing 3.9 volts through when its open so the relay will never release. I just need to know how to make that 3.9v to dissipate. why is it so hard to find 3 wire AC prox switches? im currently using a 2 wire model. Would the 3 wire with a ground get rid of the bleed through voltage? I was considering a DC 3wire prox switch but there is no feasible way to get DC voltage to the switch and then convert it back to AC for its intended use.
I can get you the model number of the Prox switch if you think it will help.
im just breaking one leg of a 220v AC motor with a proximity switch to control feed level at a farm.
The output voltage from the prox switch goes up to a ice cube relay to start and stop the 220V AC motor.
symptoms= once the initial power is supplied its fine until the prox switch goes to the closed position then it never opens again unless you remove the AC power to it. It wont allow the ice cube relay to open once energized. 120vAC closed and 3.9VAC open.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
[crystal ball]

Remove the orange and white wire from the terminal marked QH and connect it to the one marked ZO. Then change jumper J2 to to connect pins 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2.

[/crystal ball]

If you expect better help than that, you will have to give us some info, I don’t say more info because you have given us none.

Bob