Connect with us

prototyping PCB boards

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by Brianj_92505, Nov 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Brianj_92505


    Nov 2, 2013
    I’ve been looking to find some prototyping PCB boards. I wanted some set up about like the solderless bread boards with 2 rows of columns of 5 connected holes for dip sockets and 1 or 2 common connected rows across the top and bottom. Mouser wanted as much for the PCB boards as for the solderless boards. I looked on eBay and mostly what you find are boards with holes laid out in a matrix with none interconnected. With those types of boards do you make solder bridges across adjacent holes to make connections? Am I better off getting those types of boards? Any advice, tips or recommendations would be appreciated
  2. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    You can make do with solder bridges, although I prefer using uncoated wire for direct interconnections and enameled wire (magnet wire) for "long" distance connections. I remove the enamel by heating the end of the wire with a soldering iron and some liquid solder on the tip of the iron, the solder the wire to the components.
    These boards are pretty universal, although you have to provide the wire. On th eother hand the stripboards require you to open the strips where no connection is required and you will still need some for some connections.
  3. shrtrnd


    Jan 15, 2010
    It boils down to cost vs. your time to do the job.
    How many are you making, how much trouble is it to do-it-yourself, or invest the time
    in a search for the product you need?
    These are all things you have to decide for yourself depending on your situation.
  4. BobK


    Jan 5, 2010
    I find that stripboard is very good for prototypes, produces very neat boards with a little effort. The only drawback is that you will not get great component density.

    There is free software out there to help layout stripboard from a schematic, but I am at work now and don't remember what I am using.

  5. Brianj_92505


    Nov 2, 2013
    I didn't know they went by the name "strip board". I will renew my search with that term. In the meanwhile if anyone knows a good source for them....
  6. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    Strip board or verboard is the name given to board that has long parallel conductors. You may be looking for something a little more special.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day