Maker Pro
Maker Pro

prototyping PCB boards

Brianj_92505

Nov 2, 2013
I’ve been looking to find some prototyping PCB boards. I wanted some set up about like the solderless bread boards with 2 rows of columns of 5 connected holes for dip sockets and 1 or 2 common connected rows across the top and bottom. Mouser wanted as much for the PCB boards as for the solderless boards. I looked on eBay and mostly what you find are boards with holes laid out in a matrix with none interconnected. With those types of boards do you make solder bridges across adjacent holes to make connections? Am I better off getting those types of boards? Any advice, tips or recommendations would be appreciated

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can make do with solder bridges, although I prefer using uncoated wire for direct interconnections and enameled wire (magnet wire) for "long" distance connections. I remove the enamel by heating the end of the wire with a soldering iron and some liquid solder on the tip of the iron, the solder the wire to the components.
These boards are pretty universal, although you have to provide the wire. On th eother hand the stripboards require you to open the strips where no connection is required and you will still need some for some connections.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It boils down to cost vs. your time to do the job.
How many are you making, how much trouble is it to do-it-yourself, or invest the time
in a search for the product you need?
These are all things you have to decide for yourself depending on your situation.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I find that stripboard is very good for prototypes, produces very neat boards with a little effort. The only drawback is that you will not get great component density.

There is free software out there to help layout stripboard from a schematic, but I am at work now and don't remember what I am using.

Bob

Brianj_92505

Nov 2, 2013
I didn't know they went by the name "strip board". I will renew my search with that term. In the meanwhile if anyone knows a good source for them....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Strip board or verboard is the name given to board that has long parallel conductors. You may be looking for something a little more special.