Connect with us

Protective grounding

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jerk, Oct 23, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jerk

jerk

Oct 13, 2010
    Step up and step down transformer have no grounding. Then why person standing on the ground would be electrocuted touching high voltage transmision line?
    In IT grounding you can't get electrocuted touching single hot wire since no circuit is made.
    And why TN grounding use no RCD? It's true that short circuit will draw great current due to low resistance from common ground thus circuit braker will quickly interupt. But when a person will touch hot wire braker will not interupt since low current will be flowing trough high resistance body.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Transformers can be isolating or not isolating. The latter are known as auto transformers and are more efficient since the transformer only deals with the difference in voltage which may be quite low.

When repairing valve radios I always use an isolating transformer and a RCD. I still do not touch anything to be safe. Remember that there are capacitances which can pass considerable current even if there is no DC connection. Touch an electric fence in isolating rubber boots and you will feel the effect of capacitance.:)

3. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    What is:
    IT grounding?
    TN grounding?
    RCD?

Ken

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    AKA GFI in N.A.
    I.T. is Information system as in computer etc.
    M.

Ask a Question