Connect with us

Projector Lift Control Box

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by TroelsL, Jun 22, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. TroelsL

TroelsL

Aug 31, 2014
    I have a very simple project that i would like nicely hidden away in a case/cabinet.

I need room for a fanless power supply (http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/196557-stontronics-pd-60-24-power-supply-enclosed-24v-60w.html) (24V, 60W), and a few wires.

My project is a lift for a projector, and the power supply will be supplying a linear actuator, and it also needs to contain the signal cables for same.

I plan to add the following to the case:
    - PSU (129mm x 39mm x 98mm)
    - A female IEC connector
    - A RJ11 input for my home automation system
    - The wires coming from the actuator

My questions are:
    1. Is RJ11 a terrible choice for the backwards/forwards 24V 500mA input signals?
    2. Should I make the box very large, or drill holes in it in order for the PSU not to overheat?
    3. What type of case should I be looked for (plastic, aluminium, case type)?

The case will be mounted in a hole in the ceiling above the projector, which again will not be terribly well ventilated.

Please let me know if you see any issues I've missed with the project. I am no expert in electronics.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    1. Signal wires typically are much lower current than 500mA... Regardless, RJ11 looks to be rated between 1.5A and 2.3A depending on where you look, so it would appear to be able to handle it... that said, I'd love to hear from someone else considering this will be built into the ceiling.
    2. How much room do you have for the power supply? Rail mounted supplies are commonly crammed into little metal cabinets no bigger than a shoebox : http://cpc.farnell.com/mean-well/dr-30-24/power-supply-din-rail-30w-24v/dp/MC02216 The air in the box will ventilate the power supply. That said, it should run pretty cool for the most part as it will only be under load while moving the lift.
    3. I would most certainly do metal, and ground it, but that's my personal preference due to the ground and ability to handle excessive heat in the presence of a wiring fault or other fault. Plastic is an incredibly common choice as well.

3. TroelsL

TroelsL

Aug 31, 2014
    Thanks for the very quick reply!

1. RJ11 it is, unless someone can suggest better. It's only 3 wires that I need (2 signal + 0V).
    2. The ceiling isn't done yet, so I don't have exact measurements, but at least: 500mm x 500mm x 250mm for the whole setup including projector and actuator.
    3. I'll go with metal if the PSU is placed in the ceiling, plastic if it's just to assemble wires for the actuator.

As for the ventilation of the PSU, I have 3 options as I see it:

A: Laptop style power supply, similar to this: http://dk.farnell.com/omc/omps2460/power-supply-psu-led-24v-60w/dp/1684452 - I assume this is sufficiently cooled as long as I don't 'bury' it.
    B: Use the PSU I already have mounted in the ceiling as already discussed, but I'm wondering if that is even the best idea.
    C: Mount the PSU with the rest of the components for my home automation and general electricity, such as 230V outputs. This will be 3-4m from the projector. I'm not sure what type of cable to use here.

Legality and safety are my primary concerns. A licensed electrician will install the PSU if it doesn't on in the ceiling.

4. TroelsL

TroelsL

Aug 31, 2014
    I think I managed to find a solution based on option 3.

I'll mount the PSU with the rest of the wiring using a SPU similar to this: http://www.audon.co.uk/user/products/large/dr-20-24.jpg

Then, I'll run all 5 cables in normal 230V 1.5mm^2 cable and solder them to an XLR 5P plug. This appears to be rated sufficiently for 24V 2.5A. And there are no regulations on 24V here, so as long as an electrician does the wiring on the PSU side, I should be good.

In the ceiling, all I'll need is to conenct the actuator to the 5 XLR pins.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Gryd3 likes this.
  5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I very much like the idea.

Ask a Question