Connect with us

Projection TV Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by elmousa68, Dec 17, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. elmousa68

elmousa68

Apr 27, 2011
    We have an LG projection tv model PT-43A82T. This tv has been repaired three times with the repairman replacing the same chip STK392-120. The cost every time was nearly $100.

The tv has malfunctioned again and I presume the same chip has blown. The tv is producing wavy lines.

My question(s): how can I test if this chip has blown? also is there a possibility that other components have blown and I need to replace them?

2. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Is it the same identical issue? If yes then something else where is putting strain on it maybe, a failed component they may have missed..

Projection TVs are not worth the repair cost as they're big and bulky

3. elmousa68

elmousa68

Apr 27, 2011
    I need to mention that the repairs were made with the space of 2-3 years between every repair. From what I've read online it seems that this very chip is prone to this kind of behavior, i.e it blows every couple of years. The problem is there is 2 chips with the same number located next to each other, each on a heat sink. The tv started producing curved lines a while back. I need to figure out which one is causing the tv to LG1.JPG LG3.JPG malfunction. Any help appreciated.

The images show the board where the IC's are located to the left of the cabinet.

4. Atheros

Atheros

Oct 22, 2016
    To know this you should do a visual inspection looking for burned components, bulging or broken caps and a general overview of joints (dull, cracked ones have to be resoldered).

Ask a Question