Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project: Wireless transmitters

Molson

Dec 8, 2011
Hello! I want to firstly say apologies for signing up and asking for help right away. I am in 3rd year as an electrical engineering technologist, however my electronic knowledge is not near most of you here. I've been focused more on power distribution, and the bigger stuff like that.

Anyway, as a large project this year, my team and I have been designated to create a device that releases air pressure from a tire, via wireless transmission. We have 8 months to do this, and the first 4 we have spent on the mechanical aspect. We have a working prototype that uses radio transmission to actuate a solenoid and release air pressure. This works well, but the problem of course is, we are electrical students and have spent the first half of this project doing mechanical! The radio transmitter we bought works wonderfully, but it should be something we design ourselves. We essentially used it as testing grounds for our prototype, and will be spending the next four months on creating our own.

My question to you all is this:
We want to create our own wireless transmission that can actuate a solenoid, therefore the circuit requires a small relay, and some sort of wireless transmitter. We also, however, want to be able to use piezeo electronics to measure airflow of the tire. Therefore, we need to transmit a voltage to a receiver. I know an easy way to do this is with ZigBee technology. But that brings us back to the problem that we did not create the ZigBee technology and basically makes this a mechanical project.

So what kind of transmitting device would be ideal in this situation? Specifically something we can build ourselves, that uses wireless technology, and that can send a voltage reading wirelessly so we can read it as air flow?

Thank you for your time.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Molson.
My knowlege is more towards the electrical than electronics, but i am getting there slowly. Oh sorry welcome to the forum.
Your post for me started out ok, then we got to the, want to be able to use piezeo electronics to measure airflow of the tire, and then measure what seams like peak flow of the released air.

I was thinking simple enough FM transmitter, but the other component aspects are to much for me to work out, hopefully a more experienced member can pull out some ideas, i dont even know what ZigBee technology is, hope you manage to pull it off in the given time frame. :)

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I am not sure I can help either atm, but what is the difference between some wireless technology you plan on using compared to a design like zigbee that you won't use because it is not your own design?

Molson

Dec 8, 2011
I am not sure I can help either atm, but what is the difference between some wireless technology you plan on using compared to a design like zigbee that you won't use because it is not your own design?

Perhaps I wrote poorly. I want to actually avoid using any wireless technology that we haven't made. I guess my question re-stated is, what wireless transmission can we go about designing ourselves that can send this kind of information? Or is that far too complex for us. I think ZigBee is pretty advanced otherwise it would not be so popular. But if we could build a basic 2 channel transmitter that could send voltage data... well I'm just not even sure if we have the knowledge or capability. That is really my question.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Molson
welcome to the forums :)

what sort of range do you want to cover ? 2m 10m 50m ??

A basic switched on and off crystal controlled RF oscillator and a receiver to detect that carrier would be a start. As for frequency to use, well I dont know what country you are in but there's likely to be frequency allocations at spots across the spectrum for control systems. 433MHz and 2.4GHz are a couple of places where non-licenced low power devices are allowed. there are many other lower in freq. This would be ideal for an experimental and learning exercise, but not for a permanent installation for the following reason.....

If after doing that you found that your receiver was picking up and being activated by other signals then you may have to look at a modulated carrier transmitter using sub tones that only your receiver wouold recognise. That gets more difficult for some one starting out in electronics, but it would be doable.

That's why using existing technology is easy, some one else has already done the hard work... as they say ... no point reinventing the wheel ;)

cheers
Dave

Molson

Dec 8, 2011
I realize that. It's just that the mechanical aspect of this project was interesting, but we are electrical students and this is really the only part of the project that has electrical components. Would a RF device be able to transmit data either via current or voltage reading to airflow, to a receiver that could decode it and give a value? At least in theory..

The downfall of using ZigBee is all the works is finished for us.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi

you didnt answer my Q as to range ?

if you want to send data then that adds a whole new layer of complexity and isnt needed if all you are doing is operating a solenoid

But you are also saying that you need to have a transmitter on the tyre as well as a receiver ? so....

1) you want a remote transmitter transmitting to a receiver on the tyre to operate a solenoid?
2) you want a second transmitter, this time on the tyre to transmit the tyre pressure to a remote receiver ?

D

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
To send a single piece of analog data, the simplest way I can think of is to modulate the carrier with a frequency that depends on the data, any transmitter that could send audio could do this.

Bob