Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project Ideas for High Voltage Caps

Armored2DaCore

Mar 15, 2011
I have recently come across several high voltage capacitors out of old welders, and was wondering what I could use them for.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Oh, building a cattle/people prod has crossed my mind...

Armored2DaCore

Mar 15, 2011
I should clarify the term "high voltage." What I meant to say was "higher voltage than I'm use to working with."

I was told they were caps in the 400V range, but I've been looking these things over and now I'm not convinced that is what they are. They may be giant resistors, but I can't get a reading with my multimeter, and there is notation on them I've never seen before.

The text doesn't photograph well so I will descibe them. They are bright orange cylinders about 1 inch long with a half inch diameter. The leads come off the side of the cylinder, so that the components are mounted horizonally like a resistor.

The text reads such:

SPRAGUE
.47 +- 10% 400DC

Now I think I would get more value out of their idenifacation, than a use for them.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ok, that means 0.47µF (with a 10% tolerance) and 400V DC. It stores 0.0376 Joules at maximum voltage (a harmless smack imho).

Armored2DaCore

Mar 15, 2011
Thank you for the information. Even if i don't use these things for anything it's good to know they are caps and that my buddy isn't a lier. I have like 12 of these things. And a big transformer. But I don't trust the transformer because the core is cracked.

By the way, what is a safe current level for a Taser/Stun Gun? I know they run upward of 10,000 volts. But I have no idea of the amperage. Just out curiosity of course, as electric weapons are illegal in my state (but for some reason cattle prods arn't).

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Transformer spec's are usually more difficult to figure out, but if it's a ferrite core it could be just a matter of gluing it back together. What's it like, can you describe it?

Inductive or capacitive discharge devices like that are better to grade in Joules than anything else. If I remember correct then 0.3 Joules or less can be considered safe.
For continuous currents it depends on the frequency. For mains frequencies you only start to feel it at 1mA, and 10mA or more can be dangerous (iirc).

The voltage level means little by itself. I mean; you can be electrostatically charged to 10kV, and you only just feel the little spark (= 0.01J) when grounding yourself.

Armored2DaCore

Mar 15, 2011
I've looked at the transformer again and there is corrosion on the windings in several places in addition to the cracked core. Honestly, the component is not worth enough to me to bother repairing it. Right now it is simply a cool thing to have even if it doesn't work, sort of like how some people collect spent artillery shells or deactivated genades.

I mentioned the voltage because that is how the companies advertise the weapons, playing off the genral publics assumption that high volts means more power. I didn't even think of the freq at all.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You name it, it's all about hypes & fancy facades; audio power spec's, ignition (or whatever) voltage levels, ultra-this, hyper-that..

Low-frequency AC is the most unpleasant and the most inclined to induce heart fibrillation. For example 90V DC hardly feels as unpleasant as 30V AC.
But when you get up to radio frequencies the current stops having any unpleasant sensations & dangers at all, other than the heating effect it may have.