Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project brief feedback - volumetric music visualizer

Quwat

May 31, 2013
Hello everyone, first time poster
I would like to see what you think of my final year high-school scholarship project :)

My issue;

Listening to music without visualization, is like eating without smell.

Problem with current visualizers(the classic long vs short term use)

I believe that over the years music visualizers have become all about fancy graphics, no longer aimed to connect to more music, as well as they can. Following the simile; if all foods had the same aroma, really no food would smell (after you're used to it). There is normally a trade off for the initial cool factor and the visualizers ability to connect to music

For example this visualizer has a very high connection to the music, but this music visualizer is a lot cooler when you first see, but it has a very low connection to the music.

Base of Solution

By taking music visualization to the third dimension it opens up the field for cool effects, that a 2d visualizer has to trade musical connection for. There are also an average amount of very nice 3d music visualizers, but as three dimensional creatures watching something 3D on a 2D screen is always a compromise.

A volumetric display is the best host for music visualization, and due to the low resolution requirements this can be achieved taking advantage of a simple technology.

Here is an example of a volumetric display, there are only a few out there.

This is an example of a type of visualization I definitely want to try.

Main Problem still remains

Even a music visualizer with the best possible resources(display medium and analyze data), there still comes the main problem. Music visualizers are as unique as music and the humans that listen to it, its not commonly applicable to change a human or change every song you think could be better. But the workings behind a music visualizer can be taken down to different variables and modes.

A customisable music visualizer is the way we can enhance more of our music more conveniently. Even if one makes a customisable music visualizer, there is still a large bias.

The best way to achieve a more universal music visualization, is in the open source community. With a spread of interest motivated contributors, a large selection of music visualizer could be combined and refined in an ever growing cycle. But that ever growing cycle has the potential to branch to a fully commercial product.

The Real project task

The real work I will be doing for the project, is getting the hardware and the software to a point where the music visualizers can be built upon.

Made by the hobbyist for the hobbyists

All comments welcome, I will use your responses to help prioritise design factors etc

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
Oh, neat. And what would you call this "device" setup? Thumping Glow Pumpkin...

Maybe I just need some more info to catch onto your project goal, sorry

Quwat

May 31, 2013
I will call it the Clepsydra volumetric music visualizer. See if you can work out why :p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Listening to music without visualization, is like eating without smell.

It's amazing what MTV has done for the imagination.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Funny. I like to listen to music with my eyes closed, and/or with the lights off. Flashing lights are good for ambulances, but I don't find that they add anything to the listening experience.

Quwat

May 31, 2013
Funny. I like to listen to music with my eyes closed, and/or with the lights off. Flashing lights are good for ambulances, but I don't find that they add anything to the listening experience.

The general rule of thumb is; the more modern the music the more the visualization can do for it.

But maybe you just haven't found the right music visualizer yet ;) The larger reason for my project is to get more hobbyists to make music visualizer software, although at first they would just be in it for the hardware.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
But maybe you just haven't found the right music visualizer yet ;)
I thought you might say that. I suppose if I was out of my brain and listening to dubstep, I would really get into a visualiser. But I use music to relax, and I only want to hear it.