Connect with us

Programming !!!...????

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by expressomar, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. expressomar

expressomar

Mar 26, 2013
    hi guys,

I'm a student of electronics and I'm wondering what is he best convenient programming language that an electronic engeneer must master !!!

I hope I'll get some help !!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The one your employer wants...

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    There is no "best" programming language.
    Mind that the following rantings only offer my personal opinion. I'm by no means willing to enter a flame war over programming languages.

Fast and low memory consumption? -> Assembler. But cumbersome if your project grows
    Easy to program? -> any high level language. Although some offer themselves better for embedded programming than others.
    Whatever language you should choose: Make sure you have a compiler for that language, not an interpreter. Interpreted languages are terribly slow compared to compiled languages (assuming the compiler and the interpreter both give their best).

My view on a few specific languages:
    A popular choice for embedded programming is C. Modern C compilers generate very good code. Coding manually in Assembler is often not better.
    For beginners a Basic dialect may be the language of choice. Easy to learn, often not quite as fast as C. Although today even reasonably good Basic compilers exist.
    Object oriented languages like C++ and the like -> not that easy to begin with, but very powerful, especially when the size of your project grows. Terrible for embedded programming because this type of language reliefes the programmer from lots of boring details but puts that as a burden on the processor at runtime -> slow, lots of memory needed.

My personal favorite: C.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Good point.

But as a student he'll have to start with something.

@expressomar: Don't worry, whatever language you chose, chances are it's not what you will need later. Once you get a grasp of how to program an embedded system, switching to the language of your employer's choice is only a matter of learning the new syntax. Your future employer should be reasonable enough to pay for a training.

You may want to browse this collection for some information from other sources.

5. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    In school I was exposed to Assembly Language, C, C++ (.NET), Visual Basic (.NET), AHDL, Labview, and Arduino. My current employer uses some C++, and Visual Basic, but mostly C#, and something called Elmo Script (similar to C++), so there really isnt one that will be "best"

As Harald said something in the C family would probably be best, they are all fairly similar in structure and flow (Visual Basic is also in this group).

Ask a Question