Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Programming Languages

Dylan Wisdom

Apr 10, 2014
I'm actually not new to the world of programming, unlike I am with electronics, but I am curious of what programming languages would be good to know for circuits, anything related to circuits, or just languages that are good to know. Thank You!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
In my experience, most microcontroller programming is done in C and assembly language. Some environments use other languages such as BASIC and the Arduino language, and Java can be used on less resource-constrained devices.

Many languages are based on C's syntax, and C is a good compromise between efficiency and usability. I recommend C as a starting point if you want to get into microcontroller programming.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I mean C, not C++. Small microcontrollers have enough of a struggle supporting plain old C.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Okay, thanks, good to know. Does C have any IDE's?
Yes.

I'd start from another viewpoint: what is your target system? E.g. arduino, beaglebone, raspberry ...
Each of today's current target systems typically has its own IDE or at least an adapted version of a common IDE (e.g. eclipse) which is tailored to fit the specifics of the target system (including, but not limited to the necessary libraries, options for in-circuit programming and the like). Or a µcontroller vendor offers a toolchain/IDE for a family of devices, like e.g. The "AVR studio" for Atmel processors or "MPLAB" for PIC processors, to name only a few.

Dylan Wisdom

Apr 10, 2014
I mostly want to work with Arduino and Raspberry Pi. I already know about Arduino's IDE though.