Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Programming cameras to detect patterns

Lucas

Oct 12, 2013
Hello everyone, I am trying to make something that will help my brother. Long story short, he has a lazy eye. He can correct it when he realizes the eyes deviates, but obviously he cannot think about it every second of the day.
What I want to do is put two small cameras in a pair of glasses, so they can detect when one eye deviates from the other. I would like the trigger of detection something like a small red light turn on (that he can see, of course) when there is deviation.

I imagine this will is a fairly simply project, with the only real obstacle being the programming of the cameras to recognize the pupil from the rest of the eye and eyelids, and establishing the pattern between the two pupils.

I need to know the hardware necessary (Type of chip for the programming, type of cameras, battery, etc.),
The software to program the recognition of eye deviation (and how to program it onto a chip),
And how to connect all of these components.

Clearly, I don’t know much about electronics, but I will be researching all of this so I am not just blindly following instructions. I just need help with the basic information to point me in the right direction.

Please feel free to send me an email at Lucassteele101@ hotmail.com
Thank you all in advance!

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Honestly what you are trying to do would be near impossible, you would need some pretty extensive software and some fairly clear cameras to detect anything as subtle as eye movements and such.

Shaoe recognition software, even the slower kind, is extraordinarily complex and expensive, and takes an enormous amount of processing.

Lucas

Oct 12, 2013
Yes, the eye movements would be subtle, but given that the camera is millimeters away from the eye, the difference is far more noticeable.
I was planning on writing the programming - not using software - with C++.
Again, I'm not an expert by any means, but how could it be more difficult than say when an ipod can pick out faces from the rest of the bodies.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
how could it be more difficult than say when an ipod can pick out faces from the rest of the bodies.
Well, if a team of experienced programmers at Apple can do it, someone with no prior exposure to image processing should be able to whip something up, no trouble, right? ;-)

Lucas

Oct 12, 2013
Haha good point Kris, but i am not adverse to some work ;-).
What I was saying was that the technology is already there, its nothing new.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Eye tracking is usually done with an IR camera. There are numerous examples of this in things like SLRs with eye tracking to control focus point, etc.

You might like to read up on how they perform the task.

You might also investigate as to why it has fallen out of favour as the reasons for that may apply to anything you design.